New Template Tag

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MarcoDM

New Template Tag

Post by MarcoDM »

Hello Everyone,

I needed this - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12015525 - for one of the boards I administrate, I think this is a nice new template tag that could be included in the new versions of phpbb!

Best Regards

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: New Template Tag

Post by Kellanved »

Considering that the template system for 4.0 is unlikely to use 3.0-esque constructs, this is a bit too specific for the current discussion.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Kellanved wrote:Considering that the template system for 4.0 is unlikely to use 3.0-esque constructs,
could you please expand a bit about this point?
or better yet, if there is already a shrift describing the changes and the motivation behind them, could you kindly please point me to it?

fwiw, i do not think this is necessarily something good.
i think that the phpbb 3.x modding system is inherently and deeply broken, so there's little reason for the 4.0 "plug-in" system to attempt any backward compatibility.
however, i do not know that the templating system is broken is a similar degree. any changes to the syntax which are not purely additions and enhancements (i.e. such that would keep existing template syntax functional and behaving the same as it does today) need very good reasons and should be applied with utmost reluctance.

a "voting system" is discussed in another thread, but for this issue i add my "virtual vote": please do not do it.
i can be persuaded to change my mind, but the reason should be a lot better than "because i said so", "because we can" or "it was already decided".

peace.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

The 3.0 template system moves far too much logic into the template. It also is hugely redundant, with similar HTML artifacts used over and over again. My intention for future template systems is to be able to just define the key building blocks of the page, with the system taking care of the rest. This doesn't preclude overrides etc, but the clear intention is to have less logic in the template, not more.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Do you mean to have something like a template file that would just contain the code to display a single post, then (if you were to try doing it using the 3.0 template system) using assign_display to move the output from each individual post to a central output page?

LiquidSpark

Post by LiquidSpark »

EXreaction wrote:Do you mean to have something like a template file that would just contain the code to display a single post, then (if you were to try doing it using the 3.0 template system) using assign_display to move the output from each individual post to a central output page?
I like the concept behind this of making things more streamlined. Loops should really be closely considered, as should the "array" of other php functions (pun intended).