plugin theme repos

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bobtheman

plugin theme repos

Post by bobtheman »

I was wondering what needs to be done to set up the repos for the plugin's and themes/syles. Can we begin to prepare this? has the preparation already begun?

code reader

Re: plugin theme repos

Post by code reader »

there is an RFC, and there is a long standing "promise" that i made to move this RFC to the wiki.
if you (or anyone else) want to help, you are more than welcome to fill in for my broken (so far) promise, and distill this topic into the wiki. IMO this would be the first step.

once the format is agreed on, there are two parts: the repo part and the software side part. the beauty of a well defined standard is that both parts can be developed independently and integration can happen at a later stage.

so the steps are:
-- move to wiki
-- solidify the standard and close all the open question
-- develop either the repo or the software side and submit a patch for review.

peace.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It sounds to me like you want to discuss what will happen with the replacement for the mod/style database on phpbb.com for 4.x, correct?

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

EXreaction wrote:It sounds to me like you want to discuss what will happen with the replacement for the mod/style database on phpbb.com for 4.x, correct?
well yes, but more so how we can start setting up the repo for use for 4.0 and possibly transforming the phpbb.com database page to reflect the changes...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I think it's still too early to consider that. The repository that is used for phpBB 4.x mods/plugins will have to interface with the forum solution on phpbb.com, which means it'll need to work with 4.x in order to work. So that means we really can't do much until we at least get a semi-stable framework of 4.0 (I'd say a few months before a Beta is starting to look possible). Then we will have to decide if our current solution will work (Titania is being designed so we can hopefully get it to work quite easily with 4.0 with relatively minor modifications) or if we need to build something new.

4.0 is years off before we get a Beta, so I think we should focus on other more immediate things for now. ;)

At the least wait until you see Titania replace the current Mod/Style database