User contribution

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
rma-web

User contribution

Post by rma-web »

Hello All,

I just got done listening to the phpBB Weekly #136 and thought I would bring this up for the user contribution part of the discussion. It was brought up that you guys are thinking about a system to enable users to come up with ideas and contributions. I was wondering if something like what Zend Framework has would work with phpbb? http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFPROP/Home

In their Proposers Wiki they have the setup for users to create new proposals that they outline, explain, work on, etc. The community can discuss the components, and the developers have the say in forwarding the proposals through the pipeline to becoming components of the phpBB software?

Ryan

bobtheman

Re: User contribution

Post by bobtheman »

I like this idea, i think the zend example is a little to complex and looks jumbled though. I like wordpress's "ideas" or "suggest an idea"
http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/

mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle »

Zend's implementation is a little complex but the benefits include that the user who gave the idea has to provide concrete ideas and even give some code examples and usage. If phpBB implemented a simpler system but required a lot of information for the user providing the contribution I think it would work great. Maybe the RFC's are already taking care of this or they should be expanded to include contribution ideas like this.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

This is what the RFC's are for.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

ToonArmy wrote:This is what the RFC's are for.
The idea is to let users "from the support forums and dev forums" to submit and vote on ideas that everyone likes and agrees upon. The ideas that stick out the most and have the highest votes should take priority for observation/development ect ect.

including the support forums is key here, open this up to the community as a whole.

Create a category on the support forums for "phpbb 4.0 development support" or what ever you have to do to sleep at night. Keep the RFC's for the dev forums...

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

RFCs are meant to give you a possibility to present your ideas and allow the community to participate. After all, they stand for Request for comments.

Rather than implementing a feature due to a number of votes from a unrepresentative part of the community, features should be considered based on though through arguments providing a good reason to implement them.

I couldn't resist writing some more about my point of view on this: http://www.ameeck.net/postrehy/why-its- ... popularity
Please think before you post.

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

ameeck wrote:RFCs are meant to give you a possibility to present your ideas and allow the community to participate. After all, they stand for Request for comments.

Rather than implementing a feature due to a number of votes from a unrepresentative part of the community, features should be considered based on though through arguments providing a good reason to implement them.

I couldn't resist writing some more about my point of view on this: http://www.ameeck.net/postrehy/why-its- ... popularity
If there are 6 thousand votes to implement "quick reply", one would assume there would be some valid reasoning and arguments of why the community wishes to have it developed. When i develop an idea of a new feature or improvement, or anyone for the sake of argument, it should be to present the proposal to the entire community and not one set of members that can make a decision in disregard of the entire community to take action. The democratic process of the open source community is one of the qualities that makes OS software stand out in front. To say that the votes of the community are unimportant because they come from a "unrepresentative" group rather than the dictatorship of the phpbb staff is a disgrace and would reflect in the community involvement or lack thereof.

code reader

Post by code reader »

IMO votes are useless.
discuss, bring arguments and let the best argument win, not "most votes".
open development != democracy.
open development means the community can offer ideas, critique, arguments, code, documentation and most importantly code reviews.

counting yays and nays is meaningless and contribute zilch. leave it to social networking, digg or whatever.

peace.

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

code reader wrote:IMO votes are useless.
open development means the community can offer ideas, critique, arguments, code, documentation and most importantly code reviews.

counting yays and nays is meaningless and contribute zilch. leave it to social networking, digg or whatever.

peace.
Oh my, you've just summarized what I meant quite well.

If you want a feature implemented, bring a complete suggestion with arguments, research, use cases and open a discussion where others will provide the same.
Please think before you post.

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

ameeck wrote:
code reader wrote:IMO votes are useless.

peace.
Oh my, you've just summarized what I meant quite well.

If you want a feature implemented, bring a complete suggestion with arguments, research, use cases and open a discussion where others will provide the same.
... you cant have one without the other, at least not in a democracy. What good are proposals without a consensus with votes of "yays and nays" ? who choses the best argument, especially when the proposals are only accessible on the area51 forums "thats another topic entirely, one that i plan to address in the near future"