open ACP/MCP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
corsairr

open ACP/MCP

Post by corsairr »

Every web site owner knows how it is frustrating to integrate other scripts administration panel in phpbb or the phpbb ACP in other script administration panel.
So my question is, wouldn't it be interesting to try to develop with other projects (wordpress, dotclear, oscommerce ...) a standard ACP that allow webmaster to have ACP of all his scripts in one ACP ?
I really miss this each time I build a website.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: open ACP/MCP

Post by Highway of Life »

It’s a cool idea, but there are literally tens of thousands of scripts out there, plus each and every project would have to be willing to conform to some kind of standard with regard to how they build it into a single admin panel, then you have the problem of who is going to build the core system that everyone will use, and it’s security, the ability for it to properly link with it’s own script, etc...

My personal feeling on it is that the script creators are not going to what to create a single point of entry for administration control panels, everyone wants a finer grained control, and there are hundreds of perceived problems with implementing such a system... and then the final question... really, is it needed and why? This would be a bit like all of your PC applications accessing a single preference application/interface, it just does not make sense in the real world.

corsairr

Re: open ACP/MCP

Post by corsairr »

For sure this is not easy work. :)
What I was thinking about is more a kind of xml description of the interface that would be interpreted by a core script to make the display.
There would be no need for sharing libraries of any kind, just the core interpretor.
If this is built in collaboration with other projects everyone should get fine enough control. (yes it looks like an utopi, but I say it again, I agree it won't be easy).

About the use, for it is true things are working perfectly as they are right now, but it would be less time consuming (for administrators) to have everything in one interface.

I don't know if my explanations are very clear, but it sounds light, safe (as it is just display) and useful to me. :)