MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bolverk
I've been banned

MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

Post by bolverk »

MODS

We need to figure out what kinds of modifications, plugins, addons or extensions we'll have and settle on names for these as early as possible. So that it's clear what's meant in discussions. We also need to come up with a good set of basic feature additions & modifications that we can implement to see whether the architecture can really deal with the modifications/plugins/addons/... as well as we anticipated.
Fwiw, I think the term "MODS" needs to be left behind with the 3.x branch and the terminology used in version 4 should accurately reflect the nature of how the code will work. My own preference is extensions as the goal of such a system is to extend the feature set or functionality of a core package. Add-ons and plugins could also work but IMHO they just do not sound professional.

Eelke

Re: MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

Post by Eelke »

For inspiration, we can look at other projects.

Wordpress -> Plugins
Drupal -> Modules
Joomla -> "Extensions", which falls apart into "Components", "plugins" *and* "modules", depending on the mechanism used by the extension (and its purpose).

Stilithius

Post by Stilithius »

bolverk wrote:
MODS

We need to figure out what kinds of modifications, plugins, addons or extensions we'll have and settle on names for these as early as possible. So that it's clear what's meant in discussions. We also need to come up with a good set of basic feature additions & modifications that we can implement to see whether the architecture can really deal with the modifications/plugins/addons/... as well as we anticipated.
Fwiw, I think the term "MODS" needs to be left behind with the 3.x branch and the terminology used in version 4 should accurately reflect the nature of how the code will work. My own preference is extensions as the goal of such a system is to extend the feature set or functionality of a core package. Add-ons and plugins could also work but IMHO they just do not sound professional.
I disagree. If i remember correctly, phpBB has always used the term "MOD" which stands for "Modification".
I think it is good as it is a Modification to the core.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Stilithius wrote:If i remember correctly, phpBB has always used the term "MOD" which stands for "Modification".
No actually MOD's were previously known as *hacks* but changed because of the negative connotation with the term. :P
Stilithius wrote:I think it is good as it is a Modification to the core
Except that in version 4 (which is what is being planned) that is no longer the case. The architecture is being completely rewritten so that modifications to the core would no longer be necessary. ;)

@Eelke, inspiration is fine but do you have a preference of your own? :)

ckwalsh

Post by ckwalsh »

So rather than standing for "MODifications" it could stand for "MODules"

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? ;)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I'm fine with either extension or plugin. However, when taking into account code reader's post elsewhere, where he advocates that as much as possible should actually make use of the "extension/plugin/whatever" architecture, including most core functionality, maybe the example set by Drupal or Joomla makes more sense, e.g. "Module" or "Component". Full circle (per Brainy) to continue using "MOD", but have it stand for module instead :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

Brainy wrote:So rather than standing for "MODifications" it could stand for "MODules"

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? ;)
it does.
since MODs do not have a very specific meaning in the english language, it would be fine to use it *if the system was not called phpbb*.
however, the term MOD acquired over the years a very specific meaning in the context of phpbb.
so, since hacks are very strongly discouraged in phpbb4, and the vast preference is towards plugins, using the term MOD will be both misleading and damaging.

as a side, in the context of bbs systems, MODs naturally stands as a shorthand for moderator. this conflating of terms can disappear once we stop using hacks, as long as we do not call out plugins "mods".

peace.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Brainy wrote:In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? ;)
Well yes actually it does. With version 4 bringing a clean slate do you really want to bring along the baggage from the older versions? Its a fairly well known fact the the term MOD today confuses users because they equate it with a modular type system rather than merely a core hack renamed for political reasons. ;)
bolverk wrote:and the terminology used in version 4 should accurately reflect the nature of how the code will work.
@Eelke, I think creating several layers of complexity in the naming scheme is not really a good idea.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree that we should implement as many features as possible through the same mechanism that 3rd party additions will be implemented through to keep things as modular as possible. Thus I think we should get rid of the term MOD/modification.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

bolverk wrote:@Eelke, I think creating several layers of complexity in the naming scheme is not really a good idea.
I never said it was :) BTW, I suppose you are referring to what I said about Joomla? In fact, the difference is not as big as it might seem. If you compare Joomla with Drupal, for example, both have roughly the same concepts. Joomla only chooses to "bother" the person installing the extension with the type of extension-mechanism employed by the extension, whereas in Drupal, an extension can simply implement any (and all) of the available extension mechanisms. I prefer that system.

Another point that I think would be nice to give some thought to up front is how the installation of extensions is handled (not sure if this should be a new topic). I prefer the method employed by Drupal, where the code is "leading". What I mean by that: in Drupal, you install an extension (module, in Drupal terminology) simply by copying over some files. You activate the module by going to a module management page and activating the module, at which time all required database changes are made. In Joomla, you need to "install" a module, by uploading a zip file, which is unzipped, files placed in various places and changes to the database made. This is nice, until you try and use different environments (e.g. local development, staging, production), because the files/code will be in your version control repository, but the required database changes really only are made when the extension is "installed" (which will fail when the files the installation tries to copy are already present). The "workaround" is doing the install locally and tracking the database changes, which you roll into a SQL script, which needs to be executed on every environment when the code is updated to include the new extension). With Drupal, it's a simple matter of doing an update (files will be pulled from the repo) and then enabling the module on the new environment.