IP region restriction

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
elegos

IP region restriction

Post by elegos »

Hello there!

My forum has recently being in the center of spammers, even if I've got the IP-checker for spammers' IPs, GD turned on and so on. I think the spammers first register in the forum and then launch the bot. All of the IPs I've banned are from Asia or Eastern Europe. My forum is an italian community, the idea is pretty simple: region restriction.

Could phpBB3 implement a mod to the IP-checker like a multiple-selectable list where to choose the IPs to blacklist / whitelist by state? I know each IP is registered by a certain state (just use GeoIP). In this case we could, for example, whitelist Italy and Swiss.

Isn't this a good idea as improvement to the existing feature? Maybe storing the whitelist IPs in cache with an expire date just to make the whole system quicker.

carlino1994

Re: IP region restriction

Post by carlino1994 »

I had this problem too, but now I have resolved with the captcha which is included in phpBB version 3.0.5.
For more security, go in ACP -> Generale -> Conferma visuale (for italian translation) and set:
GD Codice Conferma Visuale on Yes.
Aggiungi oggetti disturbo 3D on Yes.
And set Usa caratteri diversi to Predefinito.

You can also ban an IP or IP range from the ACP by go to Users & Groups -> Ban IP's.

Italian: Anch'io sono italiano. :lol:

onehundredandtwo

Re: IP region restriction

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above