= Live Admin Panel Demo = [3.0.4]

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dog Cow

Re: = Live Admin Panel Demo = [3.0.4]

Post by Dog Cow »

ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:IP addresses are not private. Every server you access records your IP address. Anyone can start a web site and record them. IP addresses belong to the ISP, anyway.
Yeah but most websites don't publicly post IP address of visitors.
So what? This isn't "most web sites" The purpose here is for someone who is interested in testing out the admin panel of Olympus (remember how new it was, such a change?) without having to go around and download then install it.

What happened to the discsussion about banning IPs and that it's essentially useless because they can change, or the guy can get a new one? IP addresses are meaningless unless they are attached to a name. Obviously, they're attached to the ISP, but who cares? If I sign up with a user name Bob Smith and email address bob_smith@example.com, then it's pretty obvious who I am, and what my name might be! But if I sign up with a user name such TehLazer with an email address of dark_lazer@example.com, then who could I be?? You've got the IP address, but no real name to attach it to.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Dog Cow wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:IP addresses are not private. Every server you access records your IP address. Anyone can start a web site and record them. IP addresses belong to the ISP, anyway.
Yeah but most websites don't publicly post IP address of visitors.
So what? This isn't "most web sites" The purpose here is for someone who is interested in testing out the admin panel of Olympus (remember how new it was, such a change?) without having to go around and download then install it.

What happened to the discsussion about banning IPs and that it's essentially useless because they can change, or the guy can get a new one? IP addresses are meaningless unless they are attached to a name. Obviously, they're attached to the ISP, but who cares? If I sign up with a user name Bob Smith and email address bob_smith@example.com, then it's pretty obvious who I am, and what my name might be! But if I sign up with a user name such TehLazer with an email address of dark_lazer@example.com, then who could I be?? You've got the IP address, but no real name to attach it to.
Without a proxy, my IP address gives my location, company/whatever affiliation, and a direct link to my computer. An email address gives an unwelcome point of contact. I don't give my email address to just anybody. Not everybody considers signing up with a throwaway email address. That's why I gave the suggestion to put up a notice to users signing up. Even better is Toonarmy's suggestion to modify the registration process to put all IP addresses to 127.0.0.1 and blank email addresses.

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

@ToonArmy: When an experienced person will open an admin demo, I will shut mine down, and maybe Dog Cow too. Until then, it will be better for the community having a not very secure demo run by not very experienced users rather than no demo at all. By the way, I think that having such a wonderful website and not hosting a demo is a real pity. I hope the staff will realise hoe important it is and host one, many other for address.um softwares have official admin demos

@Techie: I told you that yours sounds like a good suggestion. I was a just bit annoyed by the fact that you gave no suggestions at first, but when I guessed you were suggesting to shut it down you kept saying that I was missing the point.
I also agree that e-mails should not be disclosed, but this is easily fixed if people are smart enough to enter a fake address. A reminder is good for sure.

@This time I REALLY miss the point of your post on the IP banning. :P What did you mean?

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Black Antitoon wrote:@Techie: I told you that yours sounds like a good suggestion. I was a just bit annoyed by the fact that you gave no suggestions at first, but when I guessed you were suggesting to shut it down you kept saying that I was missing the point.
I also agree that e-mails should not be disclosed, but this is easily fixed if people are smart enough to enter a fake address. A reminder is good for sure.
Guessed I was trying to shut it down? Huh? You were definitely missing the point if you thought I was trying to shut it down.

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

Well, normal people tend to think something like that if you don't give them any other reason to imagine something different. You said that a feature of the demo is not a good idea, knowing that it's not easy to fix that for such a kind of demo. The fact you gave no suggestions made me think that you didn't have any good suggestions. So, if 2 + 2 is 4, the only possible solution in this scenario was take the demo down. Your suggestion came only later.

By the way, forcing the registration IP to 127.0.0.1 is a good solution, but you also have to do that for the posts, and at the same time NOT for the "browsing IP", otherwise it will be impossible to test IP banning.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Black Antitoon wrote:Well, normal people tend to think something like that if you don't give them any other reason to imagine something different. You said that a feature of the demo is not a good idea, knowing that it's not easy to fix that for such a kind of demo. The fact you gave no suggestions made me think that you didn't have any good suggestions. So, if 2 + 2 is 4, the only possible solution in this scenario was take the demo down. Your suggestion came only later.

By the way, forcing the registration IP to 127.0.0.1 is a good solution, but you also have to do that for the posts, and at the same time NOT for the "browsing IP", otherwise it will be impossible to test IP banning.
I'm sorry, but you read things that simply were not there. Just because I wasn't giving any suggestions at the time doesn't mean that what I was saying was wrong. I said everything I wanted to say. At the time, I didn't have a suggestion. I was trying to think of one. Toonarmy's suggestion is far more elegant than mine. As for IP banning, if people really want to test IP banning, they can install a copy for themselves. Or, there's http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/de ... name=phpBB which gets reset every couple of hours. I personally don't see the need to allow people to test IP banning, but go for it.

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

Techie-Micheal wrote:I'm sorry, but you read things that simply were not there. Just because I wasn't giving any suggestions at the time doesn't mean that what I was saying was wrong.
Oh, you are right, you didn't say it was wrong, you only wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Are you sure that's a good idea?
and then
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:and I haven't had any complaints.
Until now.
I should have guessed that this actually didn't absolutely mean that it was wrong, so stupid I am. At the first post there was still chance of misunderstanding, but then everything went clear...
Techie-Micheal wrote:As for IP banning, if people really want to test IP banning, they can install a copy for themselves. Or, there's http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/de ... name=phpBB which gets reset every couple of hours. I personally don't see the need to allow people to test IP banning, but go for it.
Good link, thanks. If it works and it is not limited (haven't tested yet), this is a good alternative.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Black Antitoon wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:I'm sorry, but you read things that simply were not there. Just because I wasn't giving any suggestions at the time doesn't mean that what I was saying was wrong.
Oh, you are right, you didn't say it was wrong, you only wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Are you sure that's a good idea?
and then
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:and I haven't had any complaints.
Until now.
I should have guessed that this actually didn't absolutely mean that it was wrong, so stupid I am. At the first post there was still chance of misunderstanding, but then everything went clear...
I do find it amusing that you are reading things that aren't there. The complaint was this:
Dog Cow wrote:Live Admin panel Demo is in the process of being updated to version 3.0.4.

On 31 Jan, some goofball named 'omghax' executed quite possibly the lamest hacking attempt ever and deleted all posts, forums, and users except for himself and myself. Wooptidoo.. :roll:
Have fun reading something in to this post that isn't there. :)

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

Did that look like a complaint? To me it looks like a report on something which has happened. Nobody complained with Dog Cow for what had happened, as far as we know, so he hasn't had any complaints yet.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Black Antitoon wrote:Did that look like a complaint? To me it looks like a report on something which has happened. Nobody complained with Dog Cow for what had happened, as far as we know, so he hasn't had any complaints yet.
Actually it did. Have fun with those three words. :)