[Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Stallyon

Re: [Discussion] Downtime and Server Compromise

Post by Stallyon »

Do what I do. Quote, copy, paste, quote, copy, paste, post. It's like a long version of multi-quoting.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Stallyon wrote:Do what I do. Quote, copy, paste, quote, copy, paste, post. It's like a long version of multi-quoting.
Go to the topic review under the editor. Mark the text you want to quote, click "quote" next to it. Rinse, repeat.

:)
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

caboelx

Post by caboelx »

So does this also connected to why my specific mybb3 forum went down on Saturday (and is still down), or is that an entirely other problem?

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Well I highly doubt it that a problem with your myBB is directly related with a hack of the phpBB server. But to be sure you have to seek support over at the myBB support site as they will be able to tell you what is causing your problem.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

caboelx

Post by caboelx »

Well, it uses the phpBB3 forum software, it's just titled 'toc.mybb3.org', hence my use of the 'mybb3' title. But it is a phpBB3 individual forum.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

caboelx wrote:Well, it uses the phpBB3 forum software, it's just titled 'toc.mybb3.org', hence my use of the 'mybb3' title. But it is a phpBB3 individual forum.
The hack on the phpBB.com server took down a grand total of one phpBB board, ours. We don't support hosted phpBBs and have no control over them at all, you need to talk to your provider.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

caboelx

Post by caboelx »

I apologize--I need to explain better. We used to work with the software installed on a computer that was hosting the forum. But about 8 months ago we switched over to the online-based system. I'm just trying to figure out if that was a part of the database that has gone down, or if I'm looking at a different problem. For about 8 months now, we have not been hosting it on one of our computers. Since it was online, does that mean that it must have been on the main phpBB server?

James N

Post by James N »

Your forum is hosted on whatever server you are paying for. Its not hosted on the phpBB server.

If you havent done anything to stop it working, then you need to contact YOUR hosting company

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

caboelx wrote:I apologize--I need to explain better. We used to work with the software installed on a computer that was hosting the forum. But about 8 months ago we switched over to the online-based system. I'm just trying to figure out if that was a part of the database that has gone down, or if I'm looking at a different problem. For about 8 months now, we have not been hosting it on one of our computers. Since it was online, does that mean that it must have been on the main phpBB server?
We don't host any phpBB installations apart from this board, the main board and phpBB.com and our styles demo. Unless your board is one of those it is no way affected by our server going down.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

mixstar

Post by mixstar »

I cannot understand why users are still banging on about this subject. It was stated from the beginning that the fault was NOT with the phpBB software (please note phpBB, this is not the same as php, phplist or any other software using the php suite) The developers of phpBB, I am sure, are working as quickly and diligently as they always do, to bring the board back up. The hierarchy at phpBB do all this work free of charge and, as has been stated, all have day time jobs as well, cut them some slack.

If it takes two weeks or two months to repair the damage it will be back up and available for your use. There is no need to keep asking when will it be back up again, it will be up, be patient.