Speed

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Jay888

Re: Speed

Post by Jay888 »

Thanks for all of your help. I meant to respond earlier, but it hasn't been letting me log in - only view the thread. I'm on a different computer now.

Maybe enabling the GZip Compression made a big difference, because the site has been really fast ever since I did that. However, before that I would definitely have a lot of times when the main site at SCFishingReport.com was working normally (VERY fast), but the message board would take up to 30 seconds to load. That makes me think it's not ISP issues, but there's a lot about this I don't understand.

As far as this comment, "I'd seriously look at the logs, check for software updates and include something like xcache," I'm not sure what you mean. How do I check the logs, and what does including xcache mean?

oXo

Post by oXo »

Log is located at Maintenance Section in your ACP... click that Maintenance Section then at the leftside under Forum Logs there's an Admin Log, Moderator Log, User Log, & Error Log click each of them delete all the logs showing on the right panel.

Jay888

Post by Jay888 »

Thanks... I just did that. Hopefully it will help.

bsmither

Post by bsmither »

Me too.

Depends *somewhat* on the time of day, otherwise I can't really pin it down. I have several other sites (two eCommerce, five static sites, and a listserv site - all with very, very low traffic volume) that respond immediately 100% of the time. I have monitored the MySQL database system's "Health" in realtime and there is barely a dent in its processing load.

I was doing some major admin-type work on my forum site Saturday, 10am to 3pm Pacific time on a computer connected to a college's network. Shouldn't have expected any page load stallouts, but, sure enough, there were plenty and not on any kind of noticeable repetitive frequency - just sporadic.

After clicking a link, I did discover that: page load stalls would either not return any page, or take about a minute to deliver just the HTML (using cached images) and forgoing the fetching of any of the css and js files. However, if I quickly clicked the STOP button on the browser, clicked the link again (repeat ONCE more if necessary), the whole page would come in as fast as normal.

What does that tell me? I have no idea. But allow me to make a SWAG (Scientific Wild-A__ed Guess): for some, there may be TTL issues. For others, there may be personal firewall issues. There was a time I thought it had to do with TCP/IP packet fragmentation.

In analyzing an Ethereal (now called something else) packet capture from my server, I'm seeing either the server completing the sending of a prior request before sending my request, or the router that connects the server to the WAN with its NAT enabled may be worth looking into.

oXo

Post by oXo »

Try direct connection to your ISP without using router & let us know if it is the same. Sometimes it's in your downstream connection the reason why it's giving you a slow navigating the page. Also the tell target of calling the file or movie is real heavy that causing you a slow connection.

bsmither

Post by bsmither »

Removing or bypassing the router isn't an option. Far too many other mission critical communications are involved. But I say again, ONLY phpBB has page load stallouts.

As for your third sentence, I'm really not very good at ESL. Could you elaborate on what you are trying to say? I don't have slow downloads. I do have phpBB page load (delivery) stallouts.

oXo

Post by oXo »

Sometimes when you navigate say the subfolder or a page, we don't know how big the file posted on that page like for example... a registered user posted a large images on that page maybe 2-3 large images which is causing you a slow before appearing those images.
But on your main page is quite fast to open it because it’s not carrying heavy load/images. Now if that page is only a text messages and you’re experiencing a slow connection then that would be your ISP connection especially if it is peak hour unless you’re on T1, T2 or T3 connection.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

oXo wrote:Now if that page is only a text messages and you’re experiencing a slow connection then that would be your ISP connection especially if it is peak hour unless you’re on T1, T2 or T3 connection.
:roll:

Sorry, but I call "rubbish". It could be a number of things, slow page parse times may indicate improperly setup php or any one of a number of reasons and yes GoDaddy is great for domain name registration, but for hosting...look elsewhere.

Just my .02
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Jay888

Post by Jay888 »

Any hosting companies you recommend? Thanks, Jay