Does MSNGroups forum move over to phpBB?

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
jmalcodray

Does MSNGroups forum move over to phpBB?

Post by jmalcodray »

Wondering if anyone know if there is a way to import a user group forum from MSNGroups. They're shutting down effective 2/20 and have told their groups they have to go (they push them toward Multiply.net, which I believe they own) and the options are not good. One group is considering endorsing my new site, CHDForum.com, and has asked if I can move over his members and the content/posts.

Any body know for sure either way?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Alcodray
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Does MSNGroups forum move over to phpBB?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I don't believe anyone has written a conversion script for MSN Groups. I suspect it would have to be a so-called "screen scraper" convertor, which is against MSN's terms of service anyway.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

jmalcodray

Post by jmalcodray »

There is a forum hosting/software group going after the MSN Group folks leaving -- it's called http://www.lefora.com, check them out. Their approach to the groups being forced to move is to use a web crawler and then to populate the posts. Not sure how they turn out and appear on the new home, but I may lose this one forum I was hoping would move my way.

LMK what you think.

Joe
Joe Alcodray
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

mtrs

Post by mtrs »

The topic about that crawler converter can be partially accessed through google cache
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:Ky_ ... start%3D15

jmalcodray

Post by jmalcodray »

Thanks for that link. It appears that there is a converted/crawler I can use, but all the links go back to the phpbb site which is not accessible.

Not sure if this converte resides anywhere else, please share if you know. Hope phpbb gets back soon!
Joe Alcodray
Dearborn, Michigan, USA