A way to change behaviour of subscriptions?

Temporary forum to obtain support for MODs/Styles while phpbb.com is down
teresa chapman

A way to change behaviour of subscriptions?

Post by teresa chapman »

Here is the email notification when a new reply has been posted in a topic I'm subscribed to:
You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"ABC" at "XYZ Forum". This topic has received a
reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
Is there a way to change a setting so that notifications will continue to be sent even if a user chooses not to click the link and visit the topic right away? This is becoming an issue for some of our users who complain of not getting further notifications (whether it's because they missed an earlier one or ignored it).

Thanks,
Teresa

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: A way to change behaviour of subscriptions?

Post by DavidIQ »

There's no point to doing that as all the emails would be pretty much the same and is a very bad idea. Consider this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29974
Right now there are 14 pages to it. Each page contains 10 postings. So you could potentially receive 140 emails. Perhaps a daily digest would better suit your needs. There was a MOD writer working on something like that, MarkDHamil I believe, which would allow you to receive a daily digest of postings. An RSS feed is also another option. You also risk getting your forum's e-mail banned from email providers or get flagged as spam by default.

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

teresa chapman wrote:Here is the email notification when a new reply has been posted in a topic I'm subscribed to:
You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"ABC" at "XYZ Forum". This topic has received a
reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
Is there a way to change a setting so that notifications will continue to be sent even if a user chooses not to click the link and visit the topic right away? This is becoming an issue for some of our users who complain of not getting further notifications (whether it's because they missed an earlier one or ignored it).

Thanks,
Teresa
Well you could try installing Primehalo,s Prime Notify MOD which inserts the content of the Reply in the Notification Email.You can download it from his homepage. :D

Code: Select all

http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm#notify
Long Live PhpBB!

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

If u want to give that digest mod a try here,s the link to it.

http://phpbbservices.com/digests/index.html#phpBB3
Long Live PhpBB!

teresa chapman

Post by teresa chapman »

Thanks for the responses/ideas everyone. We'll have to think some more on this and explore these options.

I guess I was hoping for an option that could be turned on/off or settings adjusted in this case by each admin, and not something that would impact every user of the software. I completely understand that for boards with a ton of responses daily, a subscribed user would get bombarded. We don't have a ton of replies posted every day but each one is important enough that the user wants to be made aware of it. They just don't necessarily always have the time to log in to the board right away.

With the daily digest option or the option to read the response right in the email notification, will the user still need to go into the topic in order to receive future digests/notifications?

Again, thanks.
Teresa

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

The digest is a daily thing regardless of if they visit or not. Not sure about the other suggestion but I would assume you wouldn't get any further notifications until you visit the board. You'd have to do a bit of code modification to get it to always send notifications along with the text.

Midge

Post by Midge »

Excuse me for jumping on this topic, but I was about to ask the very same question. My board is quite small and my users would like to have the same feature Teresa is searching for, a notification for every single entry of the topic they're watching - regardless of them logging in.
I understand that this would drive users of big boards crazy, but our tiny community doesn't produce so many entries and - as Teresa already said - they're all equally important.

So if anything comes to mind, I'd be mighty interested as well. :D

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

If you REALLY REALLY want to do this then open up includes/functions_posting.php

Find:

AND fw.notify_status = 0
Replace with:

AND fw.notify_status IN (0, 1)

Midge

Post by Midge »

Thanks, David! But are you sure this is the right part? Above the code snippet you indicated it says in my code file "forum notification is sent to those not already receiving topic notifications" - but I only want to send the notification to people who have already signed up to get it, not to everyone on the board. :)

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Lost in translation...that's just saying to send the notification to users that have not already received it. But it's only for those that are already watching the topic/forum.