Spam Bots & phpBB3?

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
tffnguy

Re: Spam Bots & phpBB3?

Post by tffnguy »

I lied. It is enabled. I was thinking about something else. Am I missing something here?
Attachments
CAP.jpg
CAP.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 18322 times
Plano, Texas

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

tffnguy wrote:I lied. It is enabled. I was thinking about something else. Am I missing something here?
everythings fine.
Long Live PhpBB!

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

I just enabled the part about checking the IP against a black list. Any chance that is going to do any good and is it even a good idea? It says it could slow the board down. If it keeps going like it is I may close the board to new accounts and I really hate to do that!
Plano, Texas

James N

Post by James N »

James N wrote: Have a look at the anti spam mods I have mirrored on my website

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

Well you could get that Prime-Anti-Spam mod from Primehalo,s homepage.

Code: Select all

http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm
:D
Long Live PhpBB!

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

tffnguy wrote:I just enabled the part about checking the IP against a black list. Any chance that is going to do any good and is it even a good idea?
I guess I got the answer to that because I just got a new registration. :evil:
COD3M4ST3R-X wrote:Well you could get that Prime-Anti-Spam mod from Primehalo,s homepage.

Code: Select all

http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/mods.htm
:D
I Really don't want to have to resort to MODs or start hacking the BBS code to do it. If anything I may start a forum that only guests can see and tell them that if they want access to click on a link to an online help desk and tell me exactly why they want access. If they don't say what I want to here I'll nuke them and if they do I'll let them in. Then I can just regularly nuke all other new accounts every morning. (That list grows every day.) :roll:
Plano, Texas

FirstTracks

Post by FirstTracks »

I came here looking for answers because I've seen the exact same behavior over the past week. I'm running 3.0.4 with CAPTCHA enabled.

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Ever since upgrading to phpBB3, pretty much right after it came out, we had no spam problems, but as others have said, we just started getting them filtering in over the last week or so. Has there been some new strategy for bots which recently came about?

I'm not complaining, I know security can never be airtight, I'm just wondering why there are all of a sudden new bots in the last couple weeks that didn't get through before?

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn »

I have had phpbb3 since Aug 2008. All of a sudden this week I have been BOMBARDED with spammers (I had never had even one before this). :evil: Once they logged in as admin and I could not access the ACP. Hours later I was able to get in and change my passwords. I have done everything to try and stop them...ban ips, blacklist ips, CAPTCHA, and now I have to manually approve each new member (which really sucks when you are trying to get traffic, let alone ask people to wait for an approval) :( Can anyone please help? I know phpbb says it was not a phpbb issue, but a phplist (???) issue, but I do not understand. Another post said other "BIG" forums arent having any problems and that it is a script problem...seems strange that the main phpbb site was attacked since they are "BIG"??? Sorry, my site was built for me so I do not understand the technical stuff! I know this is a free open source forum so I cant really complain but would it help to just purchase some forum software instead of using free phpbb? Not too stoked on shelling out more cash after I just paid to build my site in Aug! PLEASE HELP....THANKS!!!

Pit$Bull

Post by Pit$Bull »

Try this approved MOD, works for me. :D
Attachments
AntiBotQuestion.zip
(57.24 KiB) Downloaded 2396 times
"A stitch in time, saves nine"

We're opening a can of whoopass on K9 CANCER.... One day at a time