"..new post has been made to this topic.." Option

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Carpetsmoker

"..new post has been made to this topic.." Option

Post by Carpetsmoker »

When I reply to a thread, and another user makes a reply before I finish mine I get returned to the editbox with this message:
"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

This feature is new in phpBB3, some people like this feature, others (i.e. me) don't ... It would be nice if this was a per-user option to enable/disable this in the profile/board settings.
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

DavidMJ

Re: "..new post has been made to this topic.." Option

Post by DavidMJ »

Sure, but there would have to be another board option disabling or permitting this global OR a per user acl (the first sounds more likely IMO)
Freedom from fear

Carpetsmoker

Post by Carpetsmoker »

I am not really familiar with the inner workings of phpBB, so I don't know the practical issues, but making it a per user option would be much better from a user's point of view ... Some people like this feature while others don't, so everyone would be happy this way...
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Making this another option would IMHO just complicate things even more for users. Why don't you like this feature?

Carpetsmoker

Post by Carpetsmoker »

Why don't you like this feature?
I find that especially in some extremely "hot" threads it's more trouble then it's worth, and of little to no worth in "normal" threads...
Making this another option would IMHO just complicate things even more for users.
Well, I don't think it's that complicated...

I don't know phpBB's design choices (if any) on this point, but in general leaving options out because it "complicates things for the user" is a bad thing IMHO ... If software has lots of "advanced options" you can always make an "advanced tab", or "advanced mode" or something along those lines.

Another thing that phpBB currently doesn't do is offer help for it's options, if you look at (for example) vBulletin's usercp then each option has one or two lines of description, obviously making things easier for the user.

But these things are a different (larger) discussion...

Skash

Post by Skash »

How about adding a mediawiki style to it where the user has a choice of continuing or edit their post to accommodate the changes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

That's exactly what we have right now.

xus

Post by xus »

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

Good Day!

In my BB forum that I've recently installed in my site, some of the bloggers have several issues about this message every time
they reply to a certain topic. Yes, some find it pleasing since it notifies the user..But others find it annoying..

I've been searching for answers, since I'm new to the system...Is there a way an admin user can toggle or switch this
feature off through the admin panel?

Thanks! :D

oba

Post by oba »

To the developer team, please allow the option for the admin to switch off this function. While it can be a useful tool to have, many will find it annoying. On the forum I manage, most people find it annoying in 'hot topics'. I honestly do not see any reason why admins should not have the option to switch this off and why it is imposed. This is the biggest disappointment in the move from 2.0 to 3.0

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

xus wrote:"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

Good Day!

In my BB forum that I've recently installed in my site, some of the bloggers have several issues about this message every time
they reply to a certain topic. Yes, some find it pleasing since it notifies the user..But others find it annoying..

I've been searching for answers, since I'm new to the system...Is there a way an admin user can toggle or switch this
feature off through the admin panel?

Thanks! :D
oba wrote:To the developer team, please allow the option for the admin to switch off this function. While it can be a useful tool to have, many will find it annoying. On the forum I manage, most people find it annoying in 'hot topics'. I honestly do not see any reason why admins should not have the option to switch this off and why it is imposed. This is the biggest disappointment in the move from 2.0 to 3.0
Edit Forum>General forum settings :
:P