phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Paul »

murnauvsbuñuel wrote:any date (unofficial) to the next realease?
Yes, the day after the day before the day its released.

statm1

Post by statm1 »

You should know better than to ask that.. They make a joke with everyone that asks that because they dont want to be tied down to a date.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I have just read though the entire topic..

Personally I would love to see a revitalisation of the Community Coding Projects.. It has been 2.5 years since they were announced and as far as I am aware, apart from gaining 2 developers, no substantial code has been contributed from this.. There has been =14&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search]little progress reported officially which is disappointing, (unsure if this is because there is no progress to report though)..

However, I do see at least 3 of the projects there I would love to see integrated, these being:
  • Syndication System.
  • Triggered event system.
  • Canned Moderator Responses.
I would also love to see the inclusion of an OpenID authentication module, however I am sure I have heard this is planned though.

I think also a way of completely separating MOD's and core files would be beneficial. I am well aware of the problems in terms of performance & MOD maintenance upon this, but it would help in the updating process for a number of users. Ideally, I feel, the best solution would be for a Wordpress style auto-plugin system, but with the performance and tight-integration of phpBB, whether this is possible is a different matter.

I also think that a javascript library that can perform various common tasks, AJAXed posting etc, should be made available for testing. However, it's inclusion left out until IE supports the DOM specification more comprehensibly and it is easy to modify HTML without having to resort to innerHTML in my view. This would be a nightmare without a documented API as style authors would have to resort to ad-hoc methods.

Apart from that, I see no other real improvements that could be made atop this. I think that the future there should be better support for inter-product integration. (I think you can see my pet-hate with the state of current web-applications). A way of installing Wordpress, Joomla!, MediaWiki & phpBB all on the same site, with the ability to have the same user, preferences, permissions.. etc systems.

Thanks, Alex Latchord.

PS.. I think a auto-expand posting box would also be useful, I quite often write essay's for posts and dislike the need to scroll when I have such a large screen.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I would also like to see coding projects more open to the community and having it easier to start community codding projects.

I like the sounds of OpenID and would like to see that as a default option as well.

As for everybody saying how bad hooks are on performance, I really don't think they are nearly as bad as everybody says. Sure it would add a lot if you had a hook every 3 lines or something crazy, but if done correctly and given a nice basic set of hooks that are put in the most commonly used places, I don't think there will be a bad performance loss. And if you have the plugins/hook system disabled by default (it is easy to add an option to disable all the hooks with the right kind of system) then there would be practically no performance difference if the user does not want it.

I am pretty happy with the plugins system I integrated in my User Blog Mod. It may not be the most flexible, but it worked and is about the easiest/fastest way I can think of doing it.

Instead of wordpress:
http://www.lithiumstudios.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433
:)

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

@Yawnster
Really interesting post Yawnster, I would really like if Community Coding Projects is started again. My summer is going to free (after four years of pain I'm graduating, yay!!) so I would love to a pick a project or two. I second all the integrations you have asked.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yawnster wrote:Personally I would love to see a revitalisation of the Community Coding Projects.. It has been 2.5 years since they were announced and as far as I am aware, apart from gaining 2 developers, no substantial code has been contributed from this.. There has been =14&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search]little progress reported officially which is disappointing, (unsure if this is because there is no progress to report though)..
After we've tried to take part in Google Summer of Code and weren't accepted we might attempt to try a majorly changed version of our own Community Coding Projects again this year once most basic API changes for 3.2 have taken place.
Yawnster wrote:I would also love to see the inclusion of an OpenID authentication module, however I am sure I have heard this is planned though.
Indeed, it is planned.
Yawnster wrote:I think also a way of completely separating MOD's and core files would be beneficial. I am well aware of the problems in terms of performance & MOD maintenance upon this, but it would help in the updating process for a number of users. Ideally, I feel, the best solution would be for a Wordpress style auto-plugin system, but with the performance and tight-integration of phpBB, whether this is possible is a different matter.
We believe that we should tackle these problems slowly but properly so that we don't create more problems than we solve ;-) There's going to be some changes to the module system you know from 3.0.x to make it even more useful. Whether anything is going to happen in the direction of hooks I don't know. But there's going to be system events which can be used in places which are not critical for performance.
Yawnster wrote:I also think that a javascript library that can perform various common tasks, AJAXed posting etc, should be made available for testing. However, it's inclusion left out until IE supports the DOM specification more comprehensibly and it is easy to modify HTML without having to resort to innerHTML in my view. This would be a nightmare without a documented API as style authors would have to resort to ad-hoc methods.
There's going to be some features that you can optionally use through AJAX.
Yawnster wrote:Apart from that, I see no other real improvements that could be made atop this. I think that the future there should be better support for inter-product integration. (I think you can see my pet-hate with the state of current web-applications). A way of installing Wordpress, Joomla!, MediaWiki & phpBB all on the same site, with the ability to have the same user, preferences, permissions.. etc systems.
I'd really like to see that happen too.
Yawner wrote:PS.. I think a auto-expand posting box would also be useful, I quite often write essay's for posts and dislike the need to scroll when I have such a large screen.
Never though of that but I'd really like that too, you could probably suggest that in this topic: http://www.fckeditor.net/forums/viewtop ... =15&t=9057

SamG

Post by SamG »

naderman wrote:
Yawnster wrote:I think that the future there should be better support for inter-product integration. (I think you can see my pet-hate with the state of current web-applications). A way of installing Wordpress, Joomla!, MediaWiki & phpBB all on the same site, with the ability to have the same user, preferences, permissions.. etc systems.
My question, based on limited experience, is, who picks up the support issues? If a phpBB MOD (or vice versa - hopefully you get the point) breaks integration, who's responsible for the fix? I like the idea of cooperation among OS projects, and I like the idea of integration; it all sounds unbeatable on paper. But given the level of technical experience held by so many who want a "website in a box," I can't help but wonder how it would all work in the real world in terms of support.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

tupeu

Post by tupeu »

quoting acydburn: "up the version number - RC1 is most likely due tomorrow"

3.0.1 RC1

http://code.phpbb.com/projects/activity/5

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

SamG wrote:
naderman wrote:
Yawnster wrote:I think that the future there should be better support for inter-product integration. (I think you can see my pet-hate with the state of current web-applications). A way of installing Wordpress, Joomla!, MediaWiki & phpBB all on the same site, with the ability to have the same user, preferences, permissions.. etc systems.
My question, based on limited experience, is, who picks up the support issues? If a phpBB MOD (or vice versa - hopefully you get the point) breaks integration, who's responsible for the fix? I like the idea of cooperation among OS projects, and I like the idea of integration; it all sounds unbeatable on paper. But given the level of technical experience held by so many who want a "website in a box," I can't help but wonder how it would all work in the real world in terms of support.
That is something I never thought about, very good point. I certainly do not have a definitive answer to that and if something goes wrong then I could see, in some situations, a cycle of blame occurring..

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

I absolutely dislike the idea and behavior of OpenID. Well, perhaps somebody out there is using it (never actually met one that is using it) so you can include optionally the support. But please only optionally. Just my two cents.

The Community Coding Project seems to be interesting.
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden