Colors refuse to change in 3.0

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
JohnR

Colors refuse to change in 3.0

Post by JohnR »

I'm trying to change the colors in the Prosilver theme. I've got the white background color to change, but every color name I put in for any other element has no effect; it's still the standard blue colors. Even the fonts won't change color. What am I doing wrong? Is there a tutorial somewhere on changing colors?

prototech
Former Team Member

Re: Colors refuse to change in 3.0

Post by prototech »

You have to refresh the theme (ACP => Styles => Style Components => Themes).

Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

Themes

From here you can create, install, edit, delete and export themes. A theme is the combination of colours and images that are applied to your templates to define the basic look of your board. The range of options open to you depends on the configuration of your server and phpBB installation, see the manual for further details. Please note that when creating new themes the use of an existing theme as a basis is optional.
I have run through as many color changes as I can and have yet to make any color changes to anything. After submitting the change the window changes to an option for returning to the previous page. From there a "refresh" is the only option which raises another window asking:
Confirm

Are you sure you wish to refresh the theme data stored in the database with the contents of the theme on the file system? This will overwrite all modifications which have been carried out with the theme editor while the theme was stored in the database.
yes____________no
I have used both "yes and "no" as selections and all with no affect.

Is my server having some effect, my phpBB3 is dysfunctional for some reason or is it that it doesn't work with a Mac?

JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I've found that when you edit the file, you have to scroll about 2/3 of the way down to find the actual bits and pieces to edit. That worked.

What I'd like is a map showing what cryptic pieces of code relate to what exact parts of the forum. An actual diagram. It's trial and error for me to tweak a color, save the file, refresh the page (in another tab), see what changed, then go back and tweak something else.

Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to figure that one out.

I'm regretting having updated to phpBB3.

JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I used phpBB2 for a year, and there's no question in my mind 3 is exponentially better. Tweaking the themes is the only thing that's been hard. If it's not considered profanity to say so, :mrgreen: the way vBulletin does the color tweaking is much easier to use.

webslinger

Post by webslinger »

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

If I do a "show source" of the main forum page, I see this:

Code: Select all

<br /><strong>Moderators:</strong> <a href="./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59" style="color: #FF00FF;" class="username-coloured">
How do I get rid of that hard-coded style? No change to any style sheet will override this, since it's the last level in the "cascade". Where is this coming from, and how can I get rid of it and just put the color in a style sheet?

Thanks for any help.

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

webslinger, you'd really do better asking on the main site. Area51 is for discussion rather than support of phpBB. :)

webslinger

Post by webslinger »

Sorry.

Farmer Dusty

Post by Farmer Dusty »

Darcie wrote:webslinger, you'd really do better asking on the main site. Area51 is for discussion rather than support of phpBB. :)
Sheesh. More complexity. Why not just answer the question?