Global Warming

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
will_hough

Re: Global Warming

Post by will_hough »

Global Warming is a load of crap.

Phil

Post by Phil »

You are confusing weather and climate. Global warming is a so-called climate change -- long term. Two, three, four years, is not long term. That being said, I'm with Will -- it's crap -- but it can't even be blamed for what you're saying.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

iWisdom wrote:You are confusing weather and climate. Global warming is a so-called climate change -- long term. Two, three, four years, is not long term. That being said, I'm with Will -- it's crap -- but it can't even be blamed for what you're saying.
While I agree that the climate is changing, I don't see how when this is one of the worst winters the world has seen (as opposed to specific areas) in the past several years it can be attributed to global warming. Japan got dumped on a few weeks ago with a ton of snow IIRC. This winter, while sporadic, has produced more cold weather and snow/ice than I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years.

SamG

Post by SamG »

A couple of years ago I read that people in mid-latitudes will begin to experience unusual weather extremes due to global warming. For my area, that seems true for this winter. For example, we went in a matter of four or five hours from mid-forties and rain to single digits and blizzard-like conditions. Sort of reminded me of the Genesis planet. :)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
iWisdom wrote:You are confusing weather and climate. Global warming is a so-called climate change -- long term. Two, three, four years, is not long term. That being said, I'm with Will -- it's crap -- but it can't even be blamed for what you're saying.
While I agree that the climate is changing, I don't see how when this is one of the worst winters the world has seen (as opposed to specific areas) in the past several years it can be attributed to global warming. Japan got dumped on a few weeks ago with a ton of snow IIRC. This winter, while sporadic, has produced more cold weather and snow/ice than I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years.
This area of Washington state, where I live, is seeing the most severe (in terms of cold and snowy conditions) since 1969. Wow, that means that Global Warming is having an impact!!
... oh wait, that meant that Global Warming must have been having an impact in 1969 too!

The climate *is* changing, for different reasons than the media try to convince people of.
The climate has *always* been changing, in Earth’s history, there have been more extreme heat and cold (during Human occupation of our planet) than what we are experiencing now. We’ve had Winters and cold that is more severe, we’ve had heat that is more severe. It’s going through another cycle of heat right now.
Whenever a Volcano erupts, the earth Temperature drops a noticeable degree or more -- This is very significant on a Global scale.
Whenever the Sun emits sunspots, the Earth Temperature rises a noticeable degree or more -- Again, very significant on a Global scale.

We also recently (a few years ago) had some of the most spectacular Northern Lights (Aura Borealis) we’ve had in decades, which indicated a high degree of solar flare activity.

SamG

Post by SamG »

It's well known that slight fluctuations in solar output have measurable effects on our weather (so long term changes in solar output mean long term climate change), and it's well known that we've had radiacally different weather in the past than we have now.

When it comes to global warming as an environmental issue, it's just part of a question of stewardship. So what if humans contribute only 5% (random figure) to environmental change? Can we consume energy at the current pace over long periods (leaving aside the current increase in energy consumption)? Can we introduce hazardous materials into the enviroment at the current pace over long periods? In other words, is what we call modern life sustainable environmentally? Those are stewardship question that seem reasonable to ask, regardless of political or media abuse of the issue.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Indeed, and moving off of fossil fuels can only be a good thing... but not moving to Ethanol, which is a really bad idea.
The best long-term solution is Fuel Cell cars, the best short term solution is Gas/Electric hybrids.
Although it will take a while to have a measurable impact in our environment from the cars we drive, at least 20 to 30 more years.

The biggest offenders to the environment, high-energy waste and high-energy consumption comes from Factories and Al Gore-type people (respectively).

SamG

Post by SamG »

Since modern life -- what we call "progress" -- depends on factories and on consumption, the whole techno-industrial state ought to come under scrutiny. People who defend modernism as preferable to the alternatives are hard pressed to explain, it seems to me, how a return to the alternatives is not somehow inevitable, since modern living is hugely expensive and difficult to sustain.

I remember reading somehwere that Thomas Jefferson envisioned the new republic as a nation of gentlemen farmers. Maybe his vision was a little shortsighted in some ways, but not in others. :)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Global warming is just a load of confusion for most people, I think it is mostly because of the name of it.

"Global warming" would not cause immediate higher temperatures, but a destabilization of the climate. Things will get colder in some areas, warmer in others, and the temperature will fluctuate a lot. The biggest problem with the destabilization will be the extreme weather, like hurricanes. If things continue to destabilize there will be many more hurricanes like Katrina and they will be larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

If you know a little about history you will know about the Little Ice Age.

As you can see from the following chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2000 ... arison.png

The real temperature difference between the little ice age and what it normally was around 1/2 C. We've gone up almost 1 C from 1900.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

EXreaction wrote:Global warming is just a load of confusion for most people, I think it is mostly because of the name of it.

"Global warming" would not cause immediate higher temperatures, but a destabilization of the climate. Things will get colder in some areas, warmer in others, and the temperature will fluctuate a lot. The biggest problem with the destabilization will be the extreme weather, like hurricanes. If things continue to destabilize there will be many more hurricanes like Katrina and they will be larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

If you know a little about history you will know about the Little Ice Age.

As you can see from the following chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2000 ... arison.png

The real temperature difference between the little ice age and what it normally was around 1/2 C. We've gone up almost 1 C from 1900.
Slightly off-topic, but as I recall, Katrina was only a Category 3. Most certainly not the strongest hurricane. The devastation came from where it hit and how it hit.