Why not allowed to hire a programmer here?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
dellsystem

Re: Why not allowed to hire a programmer here?

Post by dellsystem »

It's against the rules likely because it was decided that it was not conducive to the phpBB support board, which makes sense. The hiring idea brings with it a whole bunch of issues that really aren't worth dealing with - anyway, there are dedicated sites for hiring programmers, and phpBB isn't one of them :) If you're looking to hire specifically someone who's experienced with phpBB then you take a look through the signatures of the members at phpbb.com and see if any state explicitly that you can contact them for MODding/the like.

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

dellsystem wrote:If you're looking to hire specifically someone who's experienced with phpBB then you take a look through the signatures of the members at phpbb.com and see if any state explicitly that you can contact them for MODding/the like.
dellsystem gave you an advice how to find a proper person without breaking the rules. Following discussion on phpBB.com rules is useless. :mrgreen:
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

martinvaxjo wrote::mrgreen: He he. Very funny, mr dellsystem. :lol: Yes, the rule is rediculous and it should be refined a bit maybe with some logic behind the rule and its purpose and more exactly what is ok and what is not ok......with some logic.
Why? :?
It’s very blanket: No recruiting [at all] is allowed.
phpBB Rules wrote:Recruiting members for your own projects (moderators, designers, professional MOD work, etc.) is not permitted and is also considered spam.
The explanation is spam. I don’t really see where it would need further logic applied to it. :|
As it is considered spam, the reason being that you’re trying to hire people for your own projects. If you just want someone to create a MOD, post a request in the 3.0 MOD Requests Forum. Beyond that, aside from dell’s advise to peruse signatures, There is always Google. :D

Also keep in mind that the rules are there for a reason, most of them have been there for years, someone didn’t just think up the rule and stick it up there, it evolved over time to cover issues that were cropping up. Evidently recruiting was one of them. (and still is an issue), which is why the rule exists.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Not only is spam a problem, but in the past we've had issues with people complaining about getting ripped off by so-and-so, such-and-such happened with my account after I gave so-and-so access to it. They hacked me! And on and on and on. We want no part of that. That is not what phpBB.com is for.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

martinvaxjo wrote:I do not se either the "spam", "complaining people" or "hacking" as good arguments. That happens everywhere. A forum can hardly be accused of being responsible for peoples actions. People who want to connect to others for development of phpBB should be able to do that through a phpBB development forum. I want to make phpBB better and if that can't be done through this forum I strongly question who is really running it.

- Bill Gates? :?
Except that the team doesn't have to allow it to happen here. ;) And they are good arguments. Think about it. The community is meant for support, not people complaining about how they were ripped off by someone who wasn't trustworthy.

And yet, people already whine to the team about how someone said mean things about them on some site they visited and want the team to disable the offending website. Why should the team have to put up with more, unrelated garbage?

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

martinvaxjo wrote:I do not se either the "spam", "complaining people" or "hacking" as good arguments.
I think most rules were created as a reaction to bad experiences that negatively influenced community in the past.
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

WhiteWolfSix wrote:
martinvaxjo wrote:I do not se either the "spam", "complaining people" or "hacking" as good arguments.
I think most rules were created as a reaction to bad experiences that negatively influenced community in the past.
Yuppers.

SamG

Post by SamG »

martinvaxjo wrote:People who want to connect to others for development of phpBB should be able to do that through a phpBB development forum. I want to make phpBB better and if that can't be done through this forum I strongly question who is really running it.

- Bill Gates? :?
I don't see what Bill Gates has to do with this. :?

I'm not sure I follow the rest of your comment either. People who want to make phpBB better through MODs (either as authors or as idea people) or through styles already have resources at their disposal. In my opinion, people who want to hire (for anything at all; I don't think it matters for what) have gone far enough outside the purpose of an open source software project that the rule fits nicely, I think. The benefits to phpBB as a project of permitting recruitment seem to me to be rather iffy, while the costs seem much more concrete and likely.

The spam issue is an issue because people abuse privileges, and the more visible the site, the greater the temptation to exploit the site's resources. I agree that the argument seems like a stretch at first look, but it's really sort of a shorthand argument for saying that the phpBB.com is not a venue for third party activity of any sort. If nothing else, from a moderator's point of view, that makes things much more manageable.

Just my plugged nickel's worth, of course. :)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood