phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
User avatar
DavidMJ
Registered User
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Great Neck, NY

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by DavidMJ »

The posting system is getting a shot in the arm, we will have soft deletes.
Freedom from fear
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

DavidMJ wrote:The posting system is getting a shot in the arm, we will have soft deletes.
Sounds great. :)

One thing I just thought of. When you make an upgrade script for 3.0.x to 3.2.x, could it include a check and upgrade for my Soft Delete mod for 3.0? The posts are recorded as soft deleted if post_deleted != 0 (post_deleted will have the user_id of the person who soft deleted it, post_deleted_time will have the time, same for topic_deleted and topic_deleted_time).

That would be great (if you do not want to do it, I can and give you a diff once it gets to that point, if you'd rather do it that way). :)
User avatar
Prince of area51
Registered User
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Prince of area51 »

I think the upgrade part for the MOD should be more of the Modders responsibility. I mean once you have installed phpBB 3.2.x, you run a script provided by the Mod Author that upgrades that tables for you :)
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

Prince of area51 wrote:I think the upgrade part for the MOD should be more of the Modders responsibility. I mean once you have installed phpBB 3.2.x, you run a script provided by the Mod Author that upgrades that tables for you :)
For the most part, yes, but when what you've done is built into the next version by default it would be much easier and faster for you and everyone who has used it to build it in.
Realisty
Registered User
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:37 pm

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Realisty »

And not trying to sound harsh but why should they do that for your mod and not for all the other mods that are out there for phpbb 3.0 ?
I mean if they build in support for your mod then they should do that for all mods or they would be discriminating... atleast that is what i think
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

Realisty wrote:And not trying to sound harsh but why should they do that for your mod and not for all the other mods that are out there for phpbb 3.0 ?
I mean if they build in support for your mod then they should do that for all mods or they would be discriminating... atleast that is what i think
You miss the part about Soft delete becoming a feature in phpBB3.2?
Silver Surfer
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:29 pm

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Silver Surfer »

Some things I would like to see in the future are..

Prune Users list

After I have made my selections in the user prune list I would like the list on the following page to have more options, as an example

Username | Number of posts | Join date | Last active date | website | etc... | "Tick box / Selection box" |

This will give a better opportunity to review the users in the list and see who should stay and who should not.

Forum based language

I would like to be able to set language packs by forum basis. For instance on my board I would like to have 5 english forums and 3 french forums and 1 spanish forum. When someone visits one of the french forums I want the board language to change to french and when one leaves the french forum I want the forum back to the default language (english)

Style options

Don't know if this is a possibility already for the style crafters but what became apparent with the upgrade to 3.0 among my users were the high screams of disbelief and disgust of seeing the post-user-profile on the right instead of left. But thanks to a tutorial of some sort we managed to move it to the left again.

Now what I would like to suggest is that Style authors can set options for their styles which for the user(board admin) could be reached from the Style edit section. As an example the proSilver style could have had an option of putting the profiles to the left.

I am aware that it would still be up to the style author if he/she would add any options to the style but still... it would be nice.

Well, one can dream anyway. :)

Matt
User avatar
Prince of area51
Registered User
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Prince of area51 »

EXreaction wrote:For the most part, yes, but when what you've done is built into the next version by default it would be much easier and faster for you and everyone who has used it to build it in.
It sounds a bit awkward actually, say there are three or more mods for a certain feature. I really don't understand why Development team should do the leg work of making that data compatible with new release (unless the code/structure used is from one of those mods).
neilfarted
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by neilfarted »

i have somewhat of a feature request, and i apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. if there is a better place for this post, please move it to the appropriate forum/thread, or if there is a better place on the community forums, please let me know so i can post it there.

Some of the included smilies/icons included with phpbb 3 are not style-neutral. They have dirty pixels, due to anti-aliasing, around the icon that are not apparent on light styles, such as prosilver, but when a board uses a darker themed style, these pixels are visible. since these icons are not style-specific, and are outside the style folders, it would be nice if these icons were made so that they work well regardless of the style used with the board style.
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

Prince of area51 wrote:
EXreaction wrote:For the most part, yes, but when what you've done is built into the next version by default it would be much easier and faster for you and everyone who has used it to build it in.
It sounds a bit awkward actually, say there are three or more mods for a certain feature. I really don't understand why Development team should do the leg work of making that data compatible with new release (unless the code/structure used is from one of those mods).

Which is why I said I'd make the converter compatible with it if they do not want and I could just give them a diff when I am done. ;)

I don't think there is going to be any other Soft Delete mod...unless it is a really simple one. It is quite difficult to make a soft delete mod for phpBB3 and keep everything working correctly.
Post Reply