Dropped support of PHP4

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DavidMJ

Re: Dropped support of PHP4

Post by DavidMJ »

As of right here and now, making such a jump would be totally arbitrary... Why should we not support PHP 5.1?
Freedom from fear

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

EDIT: retracted
Freedom from fear

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

There is nothing wrong with supporting PHP5.1. The problem is that open source projects, to push webservers to do something, have to do it together, not alone.
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

DBM

Post by DBM »

Highway of Life wrote:
DBM wrote:What happens if my host does upgrade the server to php5 anyway? Does the board automatically adjust or do I have to reinstall?
3.0.x is made to work on PHP4 or PHP5 regardless of what you have setup, the software detects the version automatically, so you won’t need to do anything.
Well, the bad news was that the server my board was hosted on died over the weekend. The good news is that it got moved to a server running php 5.2.5. ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

LEW21 wrote:There is nothing wrong with supporting PHP5.1. The problem is that open source projects, to push webservers to do something, have to do it together, not alone.
There is also something to be said for being able to support the widest range of users possible. Not all web hosts would upgrade to PHP4 even if we went with the GoPHP5 project. Only the dropping of PHP4 support is what would force them to go with PHP5. That’s not our duty to enforce, but if we do start enforcing it, we start limiting our user-base unnecessarily, same goes for requiring PHP >= 5.2, we would severely limit the user-base.
There is nothing wrong with hosts running PHP >= 5.1, there is something wrong with hosts running PHP4 at this point since support was dropped 7 days ago.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yeah why should open source projects try to force webhosts to do something they don't like if there's no need for it?

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

Most hosts that are currently supporting PHP5 have 5.2 installed, and all hosts that will upgrade to PHP5 will install 5.2. Only very small percent of hosts still have PHP 5.1 installed, and upgrading it wouldn't be a big problem for them.
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes but not *all* hosts have PHP 5.2+ running, many still have 5.1, so why exclude those?
The reason that 5.1+ was chosen is it has some functionality that is important that 5.0 does not have.
5.2 really doesn’t have anything valuable enough to cause a 5.2+ only support issue.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The decision to move to PHP5 (specifically 5.1) and end support of PHP4 was made on support and technical grounds. There is no such basis at this time to move to 5.2. That of course may be reviewed at some future point but for now that's how it is.