Quick Reply

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SamG

Re: Quick Reply

Post by SamG »

drewtscott wrote:Thread can also refer to a group of posts relating to one subject/topic (dictionary.com/webster.com) Again, I understand what you're saying, but the word 'thread' has evolved from just the view, which is not what I was referring to.
Indeed. If memory serves, we called them threads in the old days, topics later. I think that may be a reflection of the topical nature of a lot of the original BBSs.

Of course, things are different now, and correct nomenclature gets adjusted. But no matter how you look at it, threaded views of a discussion and threads of discussion are not the same thing. :ugeek:
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

webmastermarty

Post by webmastermarty »

Yeh this would have been great, i see so many people using and wanting a quick reply feature so it would have been fab.

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 »

webmastermarty wrote:i see so many people using and wanting a quick reply feature so it would have been fab.
Actually I think it would be the opposite of 'fab'....what that word again???? Oh yea, crappy.....

shoes22

Post by shoes22 »

Quick Reply has it's proper use in some situations and forum environments, and in those situations the board admin can easily install a Quick Reply MOD to serve that purpose.

To include it in a future release is just unnecessary, as it does not suit regular forum usage well.

And that's all the debate this issue needs to have.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

This is one of those things that WILL eventually be phpbb's undoing. IMHO I say that because of the newer free software like mybb coming up in the world that does have this feature. This is the ONLY software yet to have this feature. Not good. And of all of them this remains the most challenging to add modifications too. Well expect for IPB perhaps. Some here also seem to forget that not everyone is savy enough to add modifications to their forums.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

It's a non issue. People wanting such behavior can easily add it. Moreover, myBB isn't free, just doesn't cost money (at the moment).
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Kellanved wrote:It's a non issue. People wanting such behavior can easily add it. Moreover, myBB isn't free, just doesn't cost money (at the moment).
It IS free and they intend to keep it free as well. Only difference between them and you guys is the License which even if you all wanted to could very easily convert to pay. Not sure of why this even remains a issue anymore. Point is both are free and to my knowledge neither intends to go the paid route. Anyways this is besides the point. :P

Back to the subject at hand. Again TO YOU and perhaps a few others here ( even i ) it is easy to add this or whatever mods but most others it is not. I do honestly wish you all would try to keep that in mind. Almost certain that if all users of this software were polled that most would like this added and most probably dont know how to add modifications and in the end that is what should matter the most. Not supposed to be about what you or even i want BUT it should be about reaching out to what the better percentage of people want. Thats the point i was trying to make. Sorry if it came out sounding differently.

No need to answer but atleast consider it when the plans get done up for the next major release. Thank you. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

never heard of mybb befopre, but out of curiosity, after reading this discussion, went and look at their site (mybboard.net).
ianal, but their license is a ridiculous bunch of nonsense, and i wouldn't even consider using any software with such a silly license.
examples:
mybb license agreement wrote: Reproduction and Distribution

You may produce re-distributable copies of MyBB as long as the following terms are met:

* You may not remove, alter or otherwise attempt to hide the MyBB copyright notice in any of the files within the original MyBB package.
* Any additional files you add must not bare the copyright of the MyBB Group.
* You agree that no support will be given to those who use the distributed modified copies.
* The modified and re-distributed copies of MyBB must also be distributed with this exact license and licensed as FREE software. You may not charge for the software or distribution of the software.
notice the 3rd bullet: what does it mean? it can easily be read as "if you modify the software and re-distribute it, you are not allowed to provide support to the users of the modified version". it may not be the intention of the moron who wrote the license, but this is want it says. and, if they mean that no support for the modified code will be given on their site, then it should not even be a part of the license, as it has nothing to do with the software itself. it should simply be a part of their site rules...
in other words: this requirement is unclear, but in any way you want to interpret it, it is still stupid.

even worse, lookee here:
mybb license agreement wrote: Termination

Without prejudice to any other rights, the MyBB Group may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the MyBB software and all of its component parts. The MyBB Group also reserve the right to revoke redistribution rights of MyBB from any corporation or entity for any specified reason.
wtf? practically, it means that if i use this piece of gold, someone can wake up tomorrow morning and decide i did something wrong (say, supported a user of a modified version... ;) ) and order me to "destroy all copies" (naturally, this would include the running one) of the software, and if i want to abide by the license, i will have to obey.
as i said above, ianal, but i doubt very much that this "license" would stand the scrutiny of the law. in most probability it is completely broken, legaly speaking. however, i would not dare to take a chance on anything that came with such a ridiculous "license" attached to it.

this is not "free software" by any reasonable meaning of the word. if you'd consider using this, you might just as well go all the way and use smf...

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

code reader wrote:never heard of mybb befopre, but out of curiosity, after reading this discussion, went and look at their site (mybboard.net).
ianal, but their license is a ridiculous bunch of nonsense, and i wouldn't even consider using any software with such a silly license.
examples:
mybb license agreement wrote: Reproduction and Distribution

You may produce re-distributable copies of MyBB as long as the following terms are met:

* You may not remove, alter or otherwise attempt to hide the MyBB copyright notice in any of the files within the original MyBB package.
* Any additional files you add must not bare the copyright of the MyBB Group.
* You agree that no support will be given to those who use the distributed modified copies.
* The modified and re-distributed copies of MyBB must also be distributed with this exact license and licensed as FREE software. You may not charge for the software or distribution of the software.
notice the 3rd bullet: what does it mean? it can easily be read as "if you modify the software and re-distribute it, you are not allowed to provide support to the users of the modified version". it may not be the intention of the moron who wrote the license, but this is want it says. and, if they mean that no support for the modified code will be given on their site, then it should not even be a part of the license, as it has nothing to do with the software itself. it should simply be a part of their site rules...
in other words: this requirement is unclear, but in any way you want to interpret it, it is still stupid.

even worse, lookee here:
mybb license agreement wrote: Termination

Without prejudice to any other rights, the MyBB Group may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the MyBB software and all of its component parts. The MyBB Group also reserve the right to revoke redistribution rights of MyBB from any corporation or entity for any specified reason.
wtf? practically, it means that if i use this piece of gold, someone can wake up tomorrow morning and decide i did something wrong (say, supported a user of a modified version... ;) ) and order me to "destroy all copies" (naturally, this would include the running one) of the software, and if i want to abide by the license, i will have to obey.
as i said above, ianal, but i doubt very much that this "license" would stand the scrutiny of the law. in most probability it is completely broken, legaly speaking. however, i would not dare to take a chance on anything that came with such a ridiculous "license" attached to it.

this is not "free software" by any reasonable meaning of the word. if you'd consider using this, you might just as well go all the way and use smf...
I dont see what is so complicated. :lol:

It means you wont get any support at MYBB if you use a modified version found elsewhere. Wow that was real hard to figure out. PHPBB doesnt give support for versions that are modified by others either. Up to the person who modded it to do the support. If you remove the phpbb copyright you wont get support here either.

As for the last part about having to destroy the copy...Wrong again. Nice little twist of the facts there. All they are saying is to obide by the license which i am certain has to do with trying to redistribute the software for money and removing the copyright. They want it to REMAIN FREE and i see nothing wrong with that. The difference between here and there is they take a harsher approach to violating the free license. Which if PHPBB decided to do i would be in full support of it as well. They have every damn right to protect their work especially when they are doing it for free.

code reader

Post by code reader »

TwistedWeather wrote: It means you wont get any support at MYBB if you use a modified version found elsewhere. Wow that was real hard to figure out. PHPBB doesnt give support for versions that are modified by others either. Up to the person who modded it to do the support. If you remove the phpbb copyright you wont get support here either.
forgive me, but this interpretation of the eula ("end user license agreement") is plain stupid.
if someone doesn't want to give support under some conditions, they do not need a line in the eula that states:
mybb eula wrote:You agree that no support will be given to those who use the distributed modified copies."
nobody needs my agreement for them not to give support. the only way that makes even the slightest sense of this line is to read it as requiring me (the person "signing" the eula) not to give support to such a version.
if this is not the meaning, then whoever wrote this eula is deficient in the logic department: why do i need to sign to agree that you will not support something? do you need my consent to avoid doing something you choose not to do? this is plain stupid, and I refuse to believe that the people at mybb can be so illogical.

and just to stretch this a little: phpbb does not give support on their site for some modified versions (eg., any "premodded" package, any fantastico distribution, phpbb embedded in "portals" etc.), and their license (gpl) has no and needs no mention of it.
in reality, you can release something under gpl (or any other open source agreement), and not give any support to anyone, or charge money for your support, or do whatever you please regarding support.

as to the 2nd part: i don't see where did i "twist the facts". i read the agreement, and it says that they can "terminate" my eula, and in such a case i must destroy all copies. which fact did i twist exactly?