phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Highway of Life »

Mrtb wrote:Two things:

1. Why are available phpBB 2.0 CVS here: http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/ ?
2. Why development team don't use another phpBB "cvs folder" yet, instead of phpBB2 one (http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/phpBB2/)?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english.
That is something that will hopefully be changed in the future.
But it works fine right now as it is. :)

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It will be the same in the future - the module will be the same "phpBB(2)" for all versions. The remaining are branches/revisions/tags.

Novan

Post by Novan »

I think two features are missing in the 3.0 version and it should be thought about it to implement it in 3.2:

- Topic and Post Rating system
- A User should can define in which forums he/she will be optical informed about new posts and in which not

This are my first two mods for the 3.0.
The CVS checkins for phpBB 3.X are confusing me in the last few days. Where can I see if a checkin is for 3.0 or 3.2? Is there a key word in the checkin mail?
php 5.2 checkin can't be for 3.0 I think.

Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

Novan wrote:Topic and Post Rating system
I agree with you on the Topic and Post Rating system. There are currently several mods being developed for 3.0, these are the ones I know of:
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Mrtb

Post by Mrtb »

Does area51 CVS' stats work?

It doesn't update stats from 3 jan...

Highway of Life

Acyd Burn wrote:It will be the same in the future - the module will be the same "phpBB(2)" for all versions. The remaining are branches/revisions/tags.
Erg, thanks for the correction. I completely misread his post. :?
Novan wrote:- Topic and Post Rating system
In my experience, that has been one request that is rather rare. There are a couple MODs out there that do that, but it is by far a request that I don’t see that often.
The Karma MOD -- or user rating system, is a far more common request.
I found your second request actually more useful... but really only for fairly busy boards. (like phpbb.com ;) )
Novan wrote:The CVS checkins for phpBB 3.X are confusing me in the last few days. Where can I see if a checkin is for 3.0 or 3.2? Is there a key word in the checkin mail?
php 5.2 checkin can't be for 3.0 I think.
Tag: phpBB-3_0_0 is the updates to the 3.0.x Branch.
No Tag (Head) is the 3.1.0 development.

Aled

Post by Aled »

I really think an automatic MOD installer should be installed in the software by default.

Like a phpBB3 version of EasyMOD.

-Aled

Highway of Life

It’s coming... it’s currently in development and called “Blinky” -- wGEric talked about it in a Podcast, and I posted about it earlier in this topic. ;)

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Aled wrote:I really think an automatic MOD installer should be installed in the software by default.
But there are no plans AFAIK to package it with phpBB 3.2 by default.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I do really think a quick reply should be added. :P

It may make users more likely to post smaller and more frequently, but what is the problem with that? If anything I'd think that would be good for the majority of boards.

It isn't just the extra page you have to go to that makes it nice. The site I visit the most has a quick reply, which I use most of the time. That way I can scroll up and look at posts how they were shown and type up a better reply without having to quote everyone or look at the topic review (which I hate, especially with it showing everything backwards).

If you want to allow mod authors to be able to more easily create custom quick replies, make the QR in a separate template file and output the smilies, bbcode box, etc, and then each person could use a custom QR by just dropping a template file in.

Yes, it may only take 2 edits to place a quick reply, but it can be much more troublesome with custom styles. If it was included by default, style authors would make a box that they liked with the style.

// End rant

Is anyone working on changing the hard delete system for 3.2 to soft delete anymore?