phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DavidMJ

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by DavidMJ »

Black Antitoon wrote:A database Restore tool which doesn't time out with big files.
The 3.0 one times out? How big a file?
Freedom from fear

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Kellanved wrote:
balding_ape wrote:Maybe a Quick Reply...

(...okay, maybe not. ;))
No way.
Just out of curiousity : Why not? :) - is it considered "redundant" in some way or what? :)

Thatbitextra
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

John Hjorth wrote:
Kellanved wrote:
balding_ape wrote:Maybe a Quick Reply...

(...okay, maybe not. ;))
No way.
Just out of curiousity : Why not? :) - is it considered "redundant" in some way or what? :)
It's considered too "chat room"-like.
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

NjaL

Post by NjaL »

Maybe an Automatic MOD Installer..?

It's included in other forum solutions.

Just my five cents.

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

NjaL wrote:Maybe an Automatic MOD Installer..?

It's included in other forum solutions.

Just my five cents.
A new EasyMod using the MODX format and the diff engine ?

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

DavidMJ wrote:
Black Antitoon wrote:A database Restore tool which doesn't time out with big files.
Can't test it on the live server now, but the database size is now 37 MB, and the problem started several months ago. Backing up works, but I need phpmyadmin for restoring.

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

- Changing language / template files (not cache files) and installing mods without have to use FTP, or use a kind of built-in FTP like SMF (no, phpBB3 is much better than that) if security isn't allowing that.
- Don't make it too complicate should be priority, not a feature overkill only geeks can handle with. phpBB3 is very easy and very good, but more and more options will distroy this advantage.
- Please do NOT include a WYSIWYG editor. It is a mess what every forum software besides phpBB sells as WYSIWYG - in the end most are only feature-overblown editors that are much, much harder to handle with than this easy but working.
- Make use of AJAX only if it is necessary. I think AJAX has the same advantages than disadvantages (security e.g.)
Last edited by Tienchen on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

NjaL

Post by NjaL »

Tienchen wrote:- Please do NOT include a WYSIWYG editor. It is a mess what every forum software besides phpBB sells as WYSIWYG - in the end most are only feature-overblown editors that are much, much harder to handle with than this easy but working.
I agree entirely.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Black Antitoon wrote:
DavidMJ wrote:
Can't test it on the live server now, but the database size is now 37 MB, and the problem started several months ago. Backing up works, but I need phpmyadmin for restoring.
you don't need phpmyadmin, and you can test it now.
create a back-up on the production site (should be non-disruptive), and restore it on a "sandbox" test site.
creating this sandbox should be a breeze. installing olympus only takes minutes when you already have everything working.
just create an unpublished page (can be {YOUR_URL}/testing/testing/123 } or something), and create there a testing installation.
as of now, to the best of my knowledge, neither backup nor restore should time-out.
(restore might time out if/when you try to restore older backups, but current backups should be good for any size restore.
if they are not, it should be reported...)

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Ah, Quick Reply. Let's face it, you do not like it, I do not like it, but it is one of the features most asked for. My opinion is, instead of continously rejecting repeated requests for Quick Reply and explaining it over and over, the developers could just integrate that feature but make it disabled by default.

For version 3.2, I'd like to have some sort of SEO & SEF features and an option to refresh CAPTCHA without resetting the form. Also, RSS support should be integrated by default.

Many thanks to developers...
Greetings to everyone...