New QA constant

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Stallyon

Re: New QA constant

Post by Stallyon »

Sure it's not just an alternate/new version check or something?

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

- Well, that was what I was suggesting initially, the question is for what :idea: ;)

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

Alien lifeforms! :o

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

John Hjorth wrote:(No doubt about who made that page by the way ;) :mrgreen: )
Indeed. It was the phpBB Server-administrating Bertie Bear!

He's kind of slap happy. Doesn't like anyone to get into the OSUOSL server room. And that can be a problem when, say, Mozilla wants to fix their hardware :o

:mrgreen:
&
:ugeek:
A_Jelly_Doughnut

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Well,

Based on Stallyon's first post about "quick access" and the Error 403, one could consider to file a ticket in the 3.0 bug tracker :

includes/constants.php, linie 25 & 26 :

Code: Select all

+ // QA-related
+ // define('PHPBB_QA', 1);
suggested changed to :

Code: Select all

+ // NA-related
+ // define('PHPBB_NA', 1);
and similar in install/install_update.php :?: :idea:

fberci

Post by fberci »

Well, John, you as a member of the IST group on phpbb.com must know about the problems that arised internally with the releases of phpBB2. Furthermore it has been stated that minor releases will have release candidates (by Meik I think), I mean public ones. However updating (a real live board) with the version-checker showing some other version number and after that, if bugs are found in the not-yet-final release, reupdating again (but this time only partially) can be a real pain. So with these said, it seems logical to me that we are seeing the implementition of an extension of the updater (version checker) system. Additionally if this wuuldn't be what I say it is, this feature would have to be implemented in the very near future. :)

Basically what this means is that gold is really near (hopefully from 1 to 3 weeks near :)).

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

fberci ,

No kidding here : Yes, you are right. It would make sense. I have already in here in an other topic commented in a way that I consider such a "prerelease" release likely already at 3.0.0 project stage.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Bottom line: are we going to have a (hopefully quick) public RC8, or is RC8 the internal/QA team "codename" for 3.0.0?

code reader

Post by code reader »

from what i could understand from the code, you want to define "PHPBB_QA" to 1 when you test cvs version, and undefine it when you test an RC (and later gold) version.
the only effect is, at the moment, is to prevent complaints about incompatible version.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Yes, but in practice that would to me make no sense to place such a feature in the core code.

The way main page is build up, I really can't imagine that many users ending up with a CVS snap shot or even using a realtime CVS checkout for making such a complaint, that anyone wanted to do something about it in the core code.

I haven't so far seen such a topic. It's my perception, that people messing around with dailys snap shots or real time CVS chekcouts without knowing what they are doing don't advertise it in general. However I may be wrong.