New user registration control

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
user99

New user registration control

Post by user99 »

New user registration approval by "admin" is good in order to check sanity of basic data before approving,
but, there is no way, correctness of email address can be verified.

However, if approval is by "user himself", then email address is verified but not "sanity check" on other credentials.

Is there anyway "admin" approval is coupled with user e-mail verification?

Ron2K

Re: New user registration control

Post by Ron2K »

It seems like you've still got your mind in phpBB2, where a user could fill in each of the profile fields at registration time. I don't know if you've noticed the phpBB3 registration page (particularly if you've converted from phpBB2), but these days, the only things that you fill in at registration is username, e-mail address, password, langauge, timezone and the VC code - hardly anything that needs admin approval if user activation is set. Yes, users can then go to the UCP and fill the rest in, but if your idea is to stop spam, I wouldn't worry too much, as I doubt that spambots would even bother going to the UCP to change a few settings there - they'll just try posting. (I have yet to see a phpBB3 spambot, so I do stand to be corrected on this.)

Right, now that I've got that out of the way, on to your question. The short answer: "no". The long answer: you'll need a MOD.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

There is a way to check e-mail validity:
ACP -> General - Server Configuration -> Security settings -> Check e-mail domain for valid MX record: Yes.

user99

Post by user99 »

Hi Highway!

Thanks, that helps a little bit.

Still, which there was a way to check, if the email address is same of the person signing up :)

dellsystem

Post by dellsystem »

user99 wrote:Still, which there was a way to check, if the email address is same of the person signing up :)
By mind-reading, perhaps, or stalking your users :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

dellsystem wrote:By mind-reading, perhaps, or stalking your users :)
that's both unkind, and not-to-the-point.
there is, of course, a way to verify it, and this is done by setting the registration option to "by user".
the OP was asking about a way to have the benefit of the "by user" option (i.e., verify that the email is correct) to the benefit of the "by admin" option, i.e., allow the administrator to decide.
this is definitely feasible, even if it's not currently an available option, without "stalking" or "mind-reading".

for instance, this can be implemented by creating a 2-stage registration: approval by admin will trigger the "by user" email, and only after the user replies, the actual user account is created/enabled.

@OP: you may want to move this discussion to the "mod request" forum of the main site.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

code reader wrote:for instance, this can be implemented by creating a 2-stage registration: approval by admin will trigger the "by user" email, and only after the user replies, the actual user account is created/enabled.
Yes, this has been suggested (and asked for) different times now. Hope to see it maybe in some 3.0.x minor update, or at least in 3.2.
IMO it would be better the other way round: first email user's confirm, then administrator's activation.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

dellsystem wrote:
user99 wrote:Still, which there was a way to check, if the email address is same of the person signing up :)
By mind-reading, perhaps, or stalking your users :)
I agree here 100% with dellsystem.
When you make the MOD Request, please title it “Mind Reading MOD”, that way it can have many more generic functions it can be used for, expanding it’s capability and usefulness, I think it would be quite a popular MOD. Anybody up for the challenge? :lol:

I’m not sure why the temptation to make registration more difficult. :?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree it's sort of annoying to have admin registration without email confirmation taking place first. No idea what's so funny about that HoL?

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

There are two different issues here, about the e-mail address specified by the subscriber:
1) can we ascertain whether or not he has actual access to it?
Of course. User activation purpose is just that.
2) can we ascertain whether or not it is actually his?
Of course not (at least, not without the Mind Reading MOD HoL is secretly developing). I don't know if you can whois email addresses, but in any case you can't know whether the person signing up is that same person owning that e-mail box.