Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
rivaldo

Re: Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Post by rivaldo »

Thanks for the props, code reader. Now if only the developers of this software and moderators of this forum saw it that way back when I made that prediction. Can you believe that Acyd Burn himself even threatened to ban me from the forum? And I quote, from Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:09 pm: "If i see any other topic from you being overly sarcastic about any release dates you will be banned (again) from this site... permanently. You are not welcome."

SamG

Post by SamG »

rivaldo wrote:Can you believe that Acyd Burn himself even threatened to ban me from the forum? And I quote, from Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:09 pm: "If i see any other topic from you being overly sarcastic about any release dates you will be banned (again) from this site... permanently. You are not welcome."
You didn't say, but I take it that you're quoting from a PM here? I suppose it's not any of my business whether you are or not. It just has some bearing on another, generic discussion about the actual versus perceived privacy level of PMs, taking place elsewhere.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

from you being overly sarcastic about any release dates
It is the how you write things, not the what... and i still stand behind what i said.

murnauvsbuñuel

Post by murnauvsbuñuel »

uf, simply thanks Acyd Burn
I hope that these things do not discourage to you, you are a great leader who works much for this project.
sorry for my bad english i am spanish.
Image the best portal to phpBB2

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

rivaldo,

Are you a MOD or style author or a translator? Have you ever tried to feel the "pressure", receiving PMs, emails, getting contacted on messengers or reading posts about your work in progress from impatient users who contribute with absolutely nothing? It is always a good idea to take for a fact how own posting behavior is perceived by others and stay adaptive based on that, instead of challenging faith. It simply makes life easier for everybody. ;)

- back to topic :

code reader,

Yes, I can follow your reasoning. I would not be surprised to see RC6 this weekend, and I would not be surprised to see it in a month from now, or even later. There are too many blind angles for me to even try speculate. As I see it, basicly version numbering for phpBB 3.0 is about the developers level of ambition now. And I'm confident that that has been planned and set long time ago internally.

phpBB 3.0 is already on the move, and it has been a pleasure to see even not so experienced users getting it up running satisfactory, and even expressing their excitement with it. :) - For me personally, just that has made it worth putting the Kjoules into translating it together with other people. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

john,
i agree with you that we (those who are not privy to the secret contents of the secret #iXXX list), can't know the amount of work that is still left, so we can't really make reliable prediction.
however, we can still make unreliable ones...
you said it yourself:
John Hjorth wrote:I would not be surprised to see RC6 this weekend, and I would not be surprised to see it in a month from now, or even later.
i agree, but yet i would be surprised if RC6 will not be released, at the latest, this year. and i will be surprised if RC6 will not be the last RC cycle. and i will be surprised if the time between the last RC and "gold" will be significantly more than a month.
loose as it seems, this is still much tighter time frame than we ever had. this is the first time in the life of phpbb3, that i feel quite confident predicting something like: "some time within the next four months".
(until quite recently, even trying to predict the year was no more than a wild guess).
i am much less confident predicting "some time this november", but this is my prediction nonetheless.

it is also true that with the actual and perceived quality of the RC code, the question of "when is gold" is much less acute than it used to be: most people feel that one of the RCs is good enough for a production board.

mav3

Post by mav3 »

with all due respect to the entire phpbb team isnt it taking a little too long for u guys to come out with the final thing ... i mean seriously so many betas so many rcs and still no clue at all as to when the final thing will be released

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

mav3,

- And what are you contributing with? RC6 will be out today. Database changes for RC6 just commited about a half hour ago.

mav3

Post by mav3 »

im the end user who has been waiting for ages for the final release :) to put it on various forums im part of

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

mav3 wrote:with all due respect to the entire phpbb team isnt it taking a little too long for u guys to come out with the final thing ... i mean seriously so many betas so many rcs and still no clue at all as to when the final thing will be released
You can’t rush quality. :D