Check for newer versions of stored pages - oddness

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
The Grinch

Check for newer versions of stored pages - oddness

Post by The Grinch »

I've got a weird scenario that I'm trying to figure out. I recently updated from phpbb2 to phpbb3RC4 (prosilver) and went live. I have run into something that is strange that I can't put my finger on. It has to do with IE6 and the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" specifically being set to "Every Visit to the page".

On my site and another that I visit running v3, the page loads and then all the graphics/icons vanish and re-download. Only IE6 seems to do this. I tried IE7 and Firefox and it doesn't have this issue with the identical settings. Ok, so maybe it's a browser issue...but!... the phpbb.com and area51 sites do not suffer this. Is this a server setting issue or is there something different in the overall_header.html maybe?

I also tried to reproduce this on my local server (xammp) and I can't reproduce it. This leads me to believe that it could be server related, but I have no clue on this type of stuff. I'm a bit lost.

I'm posting here because I suspect it's too technical to be a regular support request. I'm not even sure this would be classified as a bug. I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place. :oops:

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Check for newer versions of stored pages - oddness

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Might be related to your server claiming the images have been modified since last visit even if that's not true. So maybe IE6 loads the page and puts in the cached images, then asks to the server, finds the images have changed, and re-downloads them.
Not sure, but that's the only thing I can think of.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about and is using IE6, you can visit this site to see it in person: http://www.phpbb3portal.com (this isn't my site, but it behaves the same)

Make sure that you set the browser like I stated (don't forget to change it back later):
Tools -> Internet Options -> General Tab -> "Settings" for Temporary Internet files -> Check for newer versions of stored pages = "Every Visit to the page"

Check out the forum and you should see what I mean. Then come back to here or to the main phpbb website and you will see that it doesn't re-download everything when you view posts, the topic menu, etc.

I know that this did not happen with phpbb2 and it did not happen with subsilver when I was testing the beta versions. I have not tried subsilver with RC4 yet, but I suspect that it will be an issue only with prosilver.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

The Grinch wrote:Make sure that you set the browser like I stated (don't forget to change it back later):
Tools -> Internet Options -> General Tab -> "Settings" for Temporary Internet files -> Check for newer versions of stored pages = "Every Visit to the page"
I think here is the problem. check for newer versions of stored pages. As phpBB3 uses his own cache etc etc. and gives it some "random" name ie6 will think its a new version and will dl it.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

phpBB's caching system does not cache the whole page, so it should have nothing to do with IE's caching system. And phpBB doesn't handle images, the webserver does.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

Has anyone else been able to confirm this?