EasyMod for phpBB 3

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
flobby22

EasyMod for phpBB 3

Post by flobby22 »

Hi!

I´ve heard EasyMOD for phpBB 3 is being programmed. What´s the development´s status?

Rotsblok

Re: EasyMod for phpBB 3

Post by Rotsblok »

it will be prob "its ready when its finished" status
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

flobby22

Post by flobby22 »

You´re soooo competent, Rotsblok...

Foxfire

Post by Foxfire »

flobby22 wrote:You´re soooo competent, Rotsblok...
You're new around here aren't you?

flobby22

Post by flobby22 »

Yes, Foxfire, I´m new around here. Actually, I didn´t want to doubt Rotsblok´s competence. His reply, "it´s ready when it´s finished" is just a bit weird in my opinion. So I want to apologize to Rotsblok.

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

The "ready when its finished" phrase really is the only one he could have used. Programmers simply don't know when their product will be ready and they cant release it until its ready. They could think its ready and all finished only to find new bugs and problems that need to be overcome so a fixed release date is never a good idea. Game companies could heed this advice, how often is a release date on a big new Game put back!! Must be nearly 70% of time
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

flobby22 wrote:Yes, Foxfire, I´m new around here. Actually, I didn´t want to doubt Rotsblok´s competence. His reply, "it´s ready when it´s finished" is just a bit weird in my opinion. So I want to apologize to Rotsblok.
No worries
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper »

NeilUK wrote:The "ready when its finished" phrase really is the only one he could have used. Programmers simply don't know when their product will be ready and they cant release it until its ready. They could think its ready and all finished only to find new bugs and problems that need to be overcome so a fixed release date is never a good idea. Game companies could heed this advice, how often is a release date on a big new Game put back!! Must be nearly 70% of time
There is a difference, most don't care as long it's out so they can make $$

KFCSpike

Post by KFCSpike »

Shadow Reaper wrote:
NeilUK wrote:The "ready when its finished" phrase really is the only one he could have used. Programmers simply don't know when their product will be ready and they cant release it until its ready. They could think its ready and all finished only to find new bugs and problems that need to be overcome so a fixed release date is never a good idea. Game companies could heed this advice, how often is a release date on a big new Game put back!! Must be nearly 70% of time
There is a difference, most don't care as long it's out so they can make $$
Anyone who has ever tried even programming the smallest of applications knows that it always takes longer than expected.
Games companies have to stick to published dates or their reputation suffers, and backers get nervous. After all, with the big money spent on full-time programmers, graphics artists etc then it should be easier to stick to a deadline?
It doesn't work that way.
Sometimes (all times?) the commercial firms will publish before they are happy with the product and then spend years sorting out the simpler bugs that should have been noticed earlier - but, as NeilUK mentioned , they still make money from it :?

The guys doing the free stuff have it easier in that they can say 'It will be ready when its ready' - and rightly so IMO :D
The quality of OpenSource software nowadays (Including phpBB3 and the mods available for it) is amazing and all for free.
I have a lot of respect for the guys (and gals) that spend so much of their time doing this as their hobby.

r4wMUnt34q

Post by r4wMUnt34q »

Hmm, so no valuable information about the EasyMOD ?