Troubles with RC4 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jumborex

Troubles with RC4 release?

Post by jumborex »

I have had problems upgrading to RC4, and un the support forum is all a woa and despair: all peole get a blank page after the upgrade, in a way, or another.
I used the Changed Files Only formula upgrading from RC2 to RC4 (I lost the RC3 phase :roll: ).
Now I discovered that using an index.php file from RC2 in the basic directory (the last I had) the upgrade works, otherwise it don't.
Is this something that requires a Bug Report?
Thanks.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Troubles with RC4 release?

Post by Highway of Life »

Why don’t you submit a bug report and find out? ...
If something seems to be a bug, submit it, and let the devs decide. We’ll never know otherwise, we don’t read every post on the forums. ;)

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

I will do: thanks Highway
(Thomas Alva Edison)

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

I've done, but I have the suspicion to be returned with a support request by the developers. :roll:
I'm thinking that also from the install I had troubles: uploaded the Changed Files Only archive for RC4 upgrade, and pointing the browser to mysite/install I could not see any method (button, or link) to continue. I made the DB upgrade (with success) pointing the browser to mysite/install/database_update.php.
This is (I feel) not normal! Maybe something was wrong in my environment? Any idea?
(Thomas Alva Edison)

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

I cannot uderstand (my fault, of course) this type of answer from the developers.
In the ticket http://www.phpbb.com:80/bugs/phpbb3/tic ... t_id=13939 the replay is Support Request. What is the meaning of this?
In the Support forum I have seen many requests with this problem, and no technical answer for it. I myself used a trick to go out of the trouble. Where may I find some detailed explanation and the solution?
Thank you.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

If its the index.php you are having problem with, try downloading RC4 again and uploading index.php (or I would perfer uploading all files). I had a similar issue but I had couple of MODs running on the board and somehow messed up the session starting bit. But once I uploaded clean set of files, the problem was gone.

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Prince of area51 wrote:[...] I had a similar issue but I had couple of MODs running on the board and somehow messed up the session starting bit. But once I uploaded clean set of files, the problem was gone.
I have a suspicion. :P Possibly the initial release had a corrupted file inside. If they understood this, probably they modified the archive. This will explain everyting, of course.
:mrgreen:
(Thomas Alva Edison)

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

Just wondering: are you perhaps using an outdated language pack? I had some trouble with my index.php coughing up warnings in the same situation. Depending on your PHP configuration, this could also end in a blank page, I guess.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

DocBoum wrote:Just wondering: are you perhaps using an outdated language pack? I had some trouble with my index.php coughing up warnings in the same situation. Depending on your PHP configuration, this could also end in a blank page, I guess.
Yes, if you're using the italian lang pack that could definitely be the problem, jumborex.
Many users report this notice

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 104: sprintf(): Too few arguments
or similar.
Look here: http://www.phpbb.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7835

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

There is definetely something fishy with session starts, but exactly what is the problem, I do not know. Only thing I know is some of my readers are complaining of getting a blank page on their first visit to the board. I'm trying to gather information. :(
Greetings to everyone...