Can Printable Version Cause Duplicate Content Issues?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
camweh

Can Printable Version Cause Duplicate Content Issues?

Post by camweh »

I know I can dissallow the printable version in phpbb3 to whatever degree I want through permissions. Recently I've seen it mentioned on Webmasterworld that allowing a printable version to everyone could trigger duplicate content issues - no particular forum software was mentioned. Could this alleged duplicate content issue be a problem if the printable version was left as default to all on phpbb3?
Hugh in Oz

damnian

Re: Can Printable Version Cause Duplicate Content Issues?

Post by damnian »

Yes.

Bots shouldn't see the printable version. I don't know if this is the case with phpBB.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

phpBB 3 does not show the "printable page" link for users not logged in, so I guess bots are not aware of a printable page. Any clarificion from the devs would be awesome, though... 8-)
Greetings to everyone...

damnian

Post by damnian »

I had a few searches end up with printable versions of phpbb.com topics.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

If you can set the permissions, then ensure the bots usergroup can see either only the printable pages, or only the normal ones.