Why enter e-mail twice?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
NetRolller 3D

Why enter e-mail twice?

Post by NetRolller 3D »

(Sorry for posting it here, but there seems to be no place to post this, as this isn't a bug report, but also not a general topic. This is supposed to be a suggestion. Move this to where it belongs, as I couldn't find a place for suggestions.)
Why do we require users to enter their e-mail address twice? The e-mail field is visible, so no need for password-style double entering. (Don't be IPB's puppet, do things the obvious way instead.) Possibly we should go back to one password field.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Why enter e-mail twice?

Post by Kevin Clark »

Presumably because people DO get it wrong sometimes. One typo and you won't get any email from the site. Makes sense to confirm that the admin has their email correct.

SamG

Post by SamG »

And I'm not sure what IPB has to do with e-mail address confirmation, which is a widely used procedure throughout the Internet. Maybe we're missing something?
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Mistype = you can't get to your account.

Personally, it annoys me (so ctrl+a, ctrl+c, tab, ctrl+v is used when confronted with such a form), but I see the reason for it.

friendly-art

Post by friendly-art »

the_dan wrote:Mistype = you can't get to your account.

Personally, it annoys me (so ctrl+a, ctrl+c, tab, ctrl+v is used when confronted with such a form), but I see the reason for it.
Anyway 99.9% of people do Copy-Paste for this field and if they are mistaken – it's their problem. 90% of people have this field auto-populated with correct e-mail address. Why do we make things complex?