Faster Converter to phpbb3

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
drewtscott

Re: Faster Converter to phpbb3

Post by drewtscott »

Why is it taking 16 hours to convert? I have a board of 431,000 posts and 5092 members and it took no more than 2 hours.

q250

Post by q250 »

interesting... dunno why... server was little overloaded during a day... but when night come and it was still converting speed was same... so maybe timing... my home internet connection go bad in last few days and maybe i must wait for refreshed page much longer

or server timing in my.cnf was set bad, dunno really... u dont change batch size? default conversion options?

I tried locally to convert but i cant "upload" my 390 MB database locally to sql xD ... "sql server has gone away" ... hello timings ;) i will manage it after school exams

code reader

Post by code reader »

you don't want to restore over the net.
you want to move the compressed backup file using ftp, then restore locally.
this is the natural thing to do in olympus, although it was not possible (at least not without a mod) in phpbb2.
you might also want to consider using an external tool, such as phpmyadmin or similar, to take care of the restore.

sdawson

Post by sdawson »

We have a board with 400,000 posts and 80,000 users and it took around 2 hours to convert. We run 2 dedicated servers, 1 for database, 1 for httpd.

You could prune your old posts and inactive users if you want to speed up conversion time.

To get a compressed version of your SQL, log into SSH and use:

Code: Select all

[name@host ~]$ mysqldump -u username -p database_name > data.sql
[name@host ~]$ tar zcvf sql.tgz data.sql
Then you download via FTP/HTTP, move the file to the right place using the mv command.

To put on localhost, use:

[name@host ~]$ tar zxvf sql.tgz
[name@host ~]$ mysql -u username -p database_name < data.sql
Convert it, then recompress and send back. A compressed version will be about 1/5-1/6 the size of uncompressed if using tarball and gunzip.

If you don't have SSH to your server, then I would assume you are running on a shared server, and this is most likely why your conversion time is so slow. You should splash out for a dedicated server. If you lose so much from one day of advertising, you must be making a killing and therefore should be able to afford it.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

q250 wrote:I tried locally to convert but i cant "upload" my 390 MB database locally to sql xD ... "sql server has gone away" ... hello timings ;) i will manage it after school exams
Google for bigdump. It will allow you to FTP the database to the server and restore it from there.

q250

Post by q250 »

We have a board with 400,000 posts and 80,000 users and it took around 2 hours to convert. We run 2 dedicated servers, 1 for database, 1 for httpd.
respect dude... u are rich coz i run bigger board on one small server :P ... no money
You could prune your old posts and inactive users if you want to speed up conversion time.
No i cant, politic of my board is to keep all posts.
To get a compressed version of your SQL, log into SSH and use:

[name@host ~]$ mysqldump -u username -p database_name > data.sql
[name@host ~]$ tar zcvf sql.tgz data.sql
I know, i compress it on the fly.

Then you download via FTP/HTTP, move the file to the right place using the mv command.

To put on localhost, use:

[name@host ~]$ tar zxvf sql.tgz
[name@host ~]$ mysql -u username -p database_name < data.sql
My localhost is on win XP ... so this cause problem... on unix is simple as u say above :), on windows i get mysql server got away...
Convert it, then recompress and send back. A compressed version will be about 1/5-1/6 the size of uncompressed if using tarball and gunzip.
Yup but i need to upload it on localhost... all problem is about this :].
If you don't have SSH to your server, then I would assume you are running on a shared server, and this is most likely why your conversion time is so slow. You should splash out for a dedicated server. If you lose so much from one day of advertising, you must be making a killing and therefore should be able to afford it.
I got SSH, whole server for my forum. Well i dont get so much money for one day, if i get so... i would buy Dual Xeon + SCSI and not poor athlon 3800+... but like good admin i respect my users, and must develop a method, that they dont notice the change... easiest will be locally convert.

sdawson

Post by sdawson »

q250 wrote:Because day without working is heavy finansal lost from advertise... user lost ---> more finansal lost etc.

Yup because of best information in this 390.000 posts... we got up to 1044 users online
Like good admins we use our financial income from the board to pay for the servers. You're saying you get too much to take it offline for a day.

If you are going to turn down all the suggestions made so far, maybe you should stick with phpBB2.

There is no quicker way to convert the database than the suggestions made here.

Ash Hi Fi Zone

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone »

Yes dude you got to make a small sacrifice..... The best suggestion is to disable all posting, new user registration and subscribing to topics temporarily.... Then backup your entire db..... Download it onto your localhost - do a conversion.... Then upload the new db and the files onto your server.... Do all the required changes like giving permissions and all and finally bring back your site online again.... This will take something between 1 - 3 days depending on various factors.... I think if you had followed the suggestion by the time it was made - then by now the conversion might have been completely possible.... ;)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

I think converting (As you has your own server) is a lot faster as doing it as localhost. The server is configured (I hope for you) to run a a webserver and mysql, your local PC isnt configured to do that.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

I have several 100.000-posts boards as testcases for the converter. Such boards should convert in a matter of minutes; there is one exception however: remotely linked avatars. Each remote avatar will be visited during the conversion which can take some time (we abort after a second, but that's still a lot).
So, if you comment out the calls to the avatar get_avatar_width/ get avatar_height and replace them with some constant values you can reduce the required time significantly. Of course that only applies to boards where a large number of users uses remote avatars. Alternatively, just remove the remote avatars from the database pre-conversion.

~H
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.