Forum Permissions - I just cant comprehend!!!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Nicholas the Italian

Re: Forum Permissions - I just cant comprehend!!!

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

MikeR wrote: Not smart. Admins should by default see every forum/catagory created.

Maybe, but
1) someone (i.e. the founder) might want to create a new forum and not show them to all the admins (that are no more the all-powerful they were with phpBB2);
2) a non very expert or a bit distracted admin creates a forum, and he sees it, so he thinks, well, it's ok, supposing also the other members see it; the result could be a mess.
So default permission, IMO, should be all on or all off. All on would be easier 99% of the times, since most of the forums are public; all off is better for security/privacy/administrative reasons for the remaining 1% .

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

You can set up Permissions based on groups or individual users. Setting up individual users should be used in very specific cases, and should be avoided in most cases. Stick with Group Permissions where possible as indicated by others.

Think of a Group like a cell phone package. For example:

Talk50 Plan gets you:
- Voice mail with 10 message storage
- Call Display
- Call Waiting
- Free Evenings and Weekends
- Emergency number calling

Safety10 gets you:
- Outgoing calls only
- Emergency number calling

When you buy your cell phone, you pick a rate plan package and activate it. You then get the features that come with that plan.

You can compare that to Group permissions and Group Forum permissions and you create different permission packages of access. Example:

Group Permissions (general usability for user groups):
Registered Users
- Can attach files - Yes
- Can download files - Yes
- Can save drafts - Yes
- etc, etc.

Group Forum Permissions (granting Forum access to User Groups)
My first Forum -> Registered Users
- Can see Forum - Yes
- Can read Forum - Yes
- Can start new topics - Yes
- etc, etc.

My second Forum -> Registered Users
- Can see Forum - Yes
- Can read Forum - Yes
- Can start new topics - No
- etc, etc.

Every Forum or Catagory needs to be told what kind of access the different user groups get. Global Moderators will get Moderator permissions that Registered Users won't get. Administrators will get Permissions that Moderators and Registered Users won't get (although there aren't really any fancy forum permissions for administrators... I'm just giving an example). It's extremely customizable. The toughest part is learning how to find everything.

The nicest part about groups is that you can stack many groups on a single user. For example, a moderator can be part of both the Registered Users group AND the Global Moderators group. The extra permissions for the Moderators will supersede that of the Registered Users group in almost a Rock, Paper, Scissors format. Yes always beats a No. Never always beats a Yes. No is already a negative, so there's no point in comparing it to a Never.

You could go as far as to create a downgrading user group to punish users for being bad (instead of banning the trolls, just make life misserable). You could create a User Group called "On Probation" and stick a bunch of Never's in the permissions. When you add them to that group, they loose access to whatever you defined for that group. It's neat. :)

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

This is a brilliant analogy of the new permissions system. If this doesn't help the phpBB2 converts, I don't know what will.
The Grinch wrote: You could go as far as to create a downgrading user group to punish users for being bad (instead of banning the trolls, just make life misserable). You could create a User Group called "On Probation" and stick a bunch of Never's in the permissions. When you add them to that group, they loose access to whatever you defined for that group. It's neat. :)

I'm actually planning on doing this on one of my boards. It would be even nicer if a user would be added to such a group after receiving warnings, but I guess we'll have to wait for the events system in 3.2 for that.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

TheCoolGamer

Post by TheCoolGamer »

I like this way of setting the new permissions. It is a bit harder to understand for people, however when you get used to it you will see it much better. This system shows a lot similarities with the Windows permission system. So it is not completely new, however not many people change many security settings of their computer. Now you don't have to give people more permissions than needed, or you could give moderators access to certain admin pages (for example give them the possibility to manage users).

Lyf

Post by Lyf »

I see they are smart in many ways, however, how can I add forum permissions to several forum categories at a time to user groups? I mean, it's not funny choosing roles for every single forum and sub-forum for each group?

I'm sure I've just missed the smarter way of doing it, could somebody help me?

Thanks.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

There should be a checkbox on the left you need to click.

Lyf

Post by Lyf »

Acyd Burn wrote:There should be a checkbox on the left you need to click.
I can't seem to find this checkbox. Would you please direct me to it? Thanks.

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

Ron2K wrote:This is a brilliant analogy of the new permissions system. If this doesn't help the phpBB2 converts, I don't know what will.
The Grinch wrote: You could go as far as to create a downgrading user group to punish users for being bad (instead of banning the trolls, just make life misserable). You could create a User Group called "On Probation" and stick a bunch of Never's in the permissions. When you add them to that group, they loose access to whatever you defined for that group. It's neat. :)

I'm actually planning on doing this on one of my boards. It would be even nicer if a user would be added to such a group after receiving warnings, but I guess we'll have to wait for the events system in 3.2 for that.
The problem with adding them to a group to remove privilages - they can go to the UG and just 'leave' it, to regain thier permissions.

You need to work from the bottom up - have a UG that gets added auto to add the basic permissions for new members, where the normal standard member will have virtually nothing - eg all nevers.

That way you then remove the bad members from that UG to 'downgrade' them.

So v3 standard registered member would become your banned/downgraded member - and all new members will/should be added to the new UG for standard members permissions.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

ChrisRLG wrote:The problem with adding them to a group to remove privilages - they can go to the UG and just 'leave' it, to regain thier permissions.

You need to work from the bottom up - have a UG that gets added auto to add the basic permissions for new members, where the normal standard member will have virtually nothing - eg all nevers.

That way you then remove the bad members from that UG to 'downgrade' them.

So v3 standard registered member would become your banned/downgraded member - and all new members will/should be added to the new UG for standard members permissions.
Not necessarily. If it is their default group, and they don't have permission to change their default group, they can't leave it. If they try, they get the message "You are not allowed to resign from your default group.".
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

That is good Lastof - I learnt something :)