are any files changed when an installation fails?

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
SJ MAC

are any files changed when an installation fails?

Post by SJ MAC »

are any files changed when an installation fails? just wondering because ive tried to install a few mods and they've failed.

IC Admin

Re: are any files changed when an installation fails?

Post by IC Admin »

Yes, but they don't affect your forums at all until the instalation is complete. EM makes backups for every file it edits and those backups are stored in the mods folder inside admin/mods. EM also copies the files and edits them and places them in another folder the its mod folder. When the installation is complete and all the files have been edited, EM copies those edited files and moves them to your actual forums. So, to answer your question, you don't need to worry about failed installations messing up your forums.

When I receive a failed installation (for example, find failed), I open the install instructions that EM reads and I open the file that the error occured and I try to find it myself. I see what the problem is an if it's possible, I see if I can get around it without ruining anything. I alter the instructions so EM can find it again and make the necessary changes. And the installation should go smoothly from there! :mrgreen:

Poomerio

Post by Poomerio »

The edited files aren't actually put into place if the install fails; or your forum would basically be screwed.
It also keeps a copy of the edited files as they were before they were edited.
Thus the importance of restoring files in reverse-order.

- Poomie

Rep

Post by Rep »

I had a similar question to the one posed in this thread and it is answered. I do though have a follow up.

Easy Mod will back up my files so if things get screwed up, I can reinstall those back up files.

I like back ups. I think that is the number one policy a newbie needs to learn. The same is true for people like myself that may not know php code, but follow the directions of others and get by. With that said. I like to hold a set of my current pbpBB server side files on my local hard drive.

I would now assume though, that to do so, I will need to D/L my whole board after EM does its work and the board is operating as it should. Does this make sense to you?, or, is there another option for me?

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

You would only need to download the files EM changed/added to keep your local copy up to date.