Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Skeetergirl

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Skeetergirl »

instacall wrote:
Skeetergirl wrote:I really really really don't understand what the delay is???
What delay, there never was a release date. :D
Okay, let me clairify a little here...

I feel like we are LONG OVERDUE for either Beta 6 or RC1. If people aren't testing then they aren't finding bugs and THAT, my friend, is delaying phpBB 3 Gold.

You have to admit that testing of Beta 5 is totally useless. With that being said, yes, phpBB in the Beta stage has been very limited in the past couple of months and in my opinion (NOTE: MY opinion :)) has indeed delayed things. Proof being a handful of people downloading and testing CVS because a current Beta isn't available.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Testers reporting now are certainly not reporting based on Beta5 , but based on a CVS. Your arguments simply aren't valid. The number of tickets per day have increased recently, if you haven't noticed.

DooBDee

Post by DooBDee »

Ive been following bug tracker for a while now and some of the items being reported are ridiculous. I then vented a little bit about what i think about it. Reporting bugs is perfectly acceptable, but not to the extend of what I have been seeing recently. I have been working with PHP, mySQL and specificallly phpBB for a few years now (with web development soon to be my main and only job), so I do have few years experience behind what I am saying.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Can you give me just one good reason for reporting what you may consider a bug for beeing ridiculous, when Acyd Burn has written what he did on 4th May 2007?

interlog

Post by interlog »

I think your linked piece sums it up perfectly. A bug ought to be something that stops the software working as it should do.

Reporting language mistakes is a different matter.

Surely reporting these is stopping the developers working on the product and get it released as soon as possible. Every "bug" reported has to be investigated.

There are bugs and there are "bugs".

Mark :D

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

DooBDee

Post by DooBDee »

John Hjorth wrote:Can you give me just one good reason for reporting what you may consider a bug for beeing ridiculous, when Acyd Burn has written what he did on 4th May 2007?
No, sorry, I wont point out any individual bugs and give a reason because it may offend the person who reported it and I respect peoples feelings. Im sure you can work out that some reports are not bugs at all. All I am trying to say is that bugs that need to be really focused on at the moment is making sure Olympus performs its programmed task. Some bugs are irralevent to a Release Candidate - sure they are acceptable for going gold, but I just dont think some bugs qualify for being reported at beta stage.
Last edited by DooBDee on Sun May 20, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndL

Post by ndL »

becomes harder and harder to wait for the rc1 because you get various snapshots, things for translations, themes etc. get us a countdown till rc1 release date instead

instacall

Post by instacall »

Skeetergirl wrote:I feel like we are LONG OVERDUE for either Beta 6 or RC1. If people aren't testing then they aren't finding bugs and THAT, my friend, is delaying phpBB 3 Gold.
Yes Ma'am. :D ;)

Skeetergirl

Post by Skeetergirl »

Skeetergirl wrote:Proof being a handful of people downloading and testing CVS because a current Beta isn't available.
John Hjorth wrote:Testers reporting now are certainly not reporting based on Beta5 , but based on a CVS. Your arguments simply aren't valid. The number of tickets per day have increased recently, if you haven't noticed.
I did say "a handful of people downloading and testing CVS". The "bugs" as you are calling them are typos and minor adjustments. That is what I'm getting at... We would get more people testing and MORE LEGITAMATE BUGS reported if we had another Beta or RC1.