Third Party CAPTCHA

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
yexusbeliever

Re: Third Party CAPTCHA

Post by yexusbeliever »

Is the new captcha implanted already?
hmm....

expert01

Post by expert01 »

I saw a captcha on a forum recently... no words, you had to click on a certain part of the image.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

yexusbeliever wrote: Is the new captcha implanted already?

Yes... though it may need to go through some debugging. ;)

mosquito.tyler

Post by mosquito.tyler »

expert01 wrote: I saw a captcha on a forum recently... no words, you had to click on a certain part of the image.

Image map I would assume, something a bot could decipher instantly really.

profpete

Post by profpete »

Not if its a server-side image map... depends what you have to click on really, and how different it is to the rest of the image!

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

i hope after all this we can stopping spammers

EWT

Post by EWT »

I was looking at the new Captcha and a realitively simple idea came to mind and I am thinking perhaps it would strengthen the integrity of it, although it may have been considered already because it is so simple.

I noticed there are four basic colors to the letter sequence (ex: white, orange, red, yellow). It asks you to type in the letter sequence exactly as it appears in the image. However, the instructions could read as follows:
  • Enter [randomly selected string] characters in the image exactly as they appear in sequence.
The randomly selected string would be from a list in the code as follows:
  • "only the white"
    "only the orange"
    "only the red"
    "only the yellow"
    "all the"
Then, depending on the the randomly selected string, the modified instructions would read for as follows:

"Enter only the red characters in the image exactly as they appear in sequence."

(undrlined text above changes randomly, but does not necessarily need to be underlined; notice also the last choice which would require all characters to be entered)

Currently, the image colors change randomly and the randomly selected string choices would need to coordinate with the image colors, but that seems simple enough to program.

If they wanted to make the Captcha even tighter, they could remove the color words in the string choices (white, orange, red, yellow), and replace them with small image boxes representing each color using a color filled box. I guess the biggest criticism to this would be from those who are color blind, but what percentage of the public is color blind (some studies suggest that 1/2% of females and 5% of males)? The color option could perhaps be turned off and on in the ACP for those who wish to be sensitive to these small percentages of the population. I am not that much informed of whether today's bots are able to determine colors from an image and interpret it to crack a Captcha sequence as I have suggested but this is my two cents, and in my oppinion it would be better than what they have now.

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

EWT wrote: I guess the biggest criticism to this would be from those who are color blind, but what percentage of the public is color blind (some studies suggest that 1/2% of females and 5% of males)? The color option could perhaps be turned off and on in the ACP for those who wish to be sensitive to these small percentages of the population.

Multiply 5% times the number of people that use forums. Or maybe it would be easier if I said 1 in 20 males have some form of measurable color blindness.

signed
one of that small percentages of the population
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Drew*** wrote: Multiply 5% times the number of people that use forums. Or maybe it would be easier if I said 1 in 20 males have some form of measurable color blindness.

I don't want to turn this into either a statistical or social dispute, but while I agree that we shouldn't use things that could disadvantage a fair amount of people where there are other options available, I can't agree that 5% of one million people is more important than 5% of one hundred people.
To explain better, if we choose a way that advantages 95% of people and disadvantages 5%, we can't change our mind if the people involved are 100 millions; in fact, of course we have to think of those 5 million individuals disadvantaged if we choose option A, but we also have to think of those 95 millions disadvantaged if we choose option B.
Again, just nitpicking about statistics, nothing to do with the specific "choice" you're discussing. :)

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

Didn't intend for it to be social commentary but I guess it came out that way. What I was trying to say is that the percentage of people who have some difficulty percieving colors (colours for some of you in out of the way parts of the world) is not so small.

Frankly I've struck up a lot of interesting conversations, gotten a few dates, and had some pretty good friendships with people who noticed that I had on two different color socks. So I wouldn't exactly call it a disadvantage :mrgreen:

So how is it in Belluno this time of year?
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3