New phpbb.com website design, etc.

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Thatbitextra
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Re: New phpbb.com website design, etc.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Because it doesn't have the media="handheld" stylesheet.
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

Thatbitextra

Post by Thatbitextra »

Seeing as dhn mentioned it, it's clear that it is intended but hasn't been implemented yet.

JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Where did dhn post that? Didn't see it here on A51 or the main forums (it's rather hard for me to sift through all the topic-garbage over there).

Anyway, if the main argument for using definition list instead of tables is that they are better for "handheld" devices, than I have to ask: what's the browser situation on handheld devices? What's the dominant browser? Is it similar to the normal browser market which is dominated by a crippled rendering engine? If not, does the majority of browsers use standard-compliant engines (in other words: those that have good support for CSS and pass the acid2 test, like gecko, presto, khtml, webkit etc.)?
If they do use such engines, then there's no need for those <dl> tricks, because tables can be altered with CSS (changing the default display from 'table', 'table-row', 'table-cell' to 'block', 'inline', 'none' etc) to make them look like a <dl> (or whatever we want them to look like). The html structure of a table row and a "definition" in a <dl> is almost the same (actual, comparing it to the structure that dhn gave in that quote, a table row is shorter ;p)
And as for screenreaders - if they get a table, they just linearize it, so it's not a problem (of course if the table really does contain just tabular data and not layout).

And even if that's not possible, they could have made the dls behave like tables (display: table-cell etc), and leave that float/position mess just for the IE users :mrgreen:

Thatbitextra

Post by Thatbitextra »

JCDenton wrote: Where did dhn post that?

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.p ... try1474040

suit

Post by suit »

Highway of Life wrote: Hmm... I don’t think I’ll touch the argument of the last page or so... moving on to, the thought process behind prosilver.
[color=#333333]dhn[/color] wrote: 1) Lists vs. tables
So what makes this more flexible? First off, it is easier to handle than tables, believe it or not. I worked on all of the >100 template files on prosilver and the syntax is so much more logical than a table equivalent:

Code: Select all

<li>
     <dl>
         <dt>Topic of forum title and poster information</dt>
         <dd>Meta</dd>
     </dl>
</li>
You can simply hide information that is not needed, take away number of replies, views, and so forth. Something which is not possible with tables.

dont get my wrong, i usualy don't use tables too - but for the forum index or topic-"list" i guess its more suitable

why not use

<table>
     <tr>
         <td>Topic of forum title and poster information</td>
         <td>Meta</td>
     </tr>
</table>
there is not much difference, the syntax is near identical

whats the difference in making a table-cell to behave like a list-item or making a definition list behave like a table-cell - there is absoluteley no difference (ok, i this example i stripped the parent <ul> - but who cares?

the semantic concept behind html or xhtml is missused every day - noone understands it properly

a definition list is a list of definitions, not a list of topics - but who knows that exactly?

<dl>
  <dt>rabbit</dt> <!-- this is the title, whatever -->
  <dd>some bunny-like animal</dd> <!-- this is one definition for it -->
  <dd>a product (car) by volkswagen (vw)</dd> <!-- anoter stupid definition for the same thing mentioned in title
</dl>
because auf the semantic miss-use of some tags and a lot of other reasons many html-tags were strippen - <menu> for examle is now deprecated for some reasons and should be completely replaced by <ul> - but how the hell should somebody know that a list is a menu and not a shopping list in content-context?

cause it seems that nobody cares about that - so defintion lists for tabular display of topics are ok for me ;)

---

edit:
msu.falcon wrote: I also understand their decision for the <dl> structure. Forum posts have been thought of as tabular data for a long time, but there's really no reason they have to be. I completely agree: Things like the memberlist are tabular data and should be in tables, but things like posts don't necessarily have to be. Now I can use CSS to decide whether I'd like them to display in a table or not and not have to edit my template.

sorry for double-reply ;)

but i guess you DONT understand why they use dls - there is no use of doing anything like that ;)

why is the memberlist tabluar data and the topicoverview a list ?! i don't geht that one, sorry ;)

its no problem to construct the whole site without the use of a table, tr, td or an type of list - just use divs, lots of divs (very lot) - just tell some div "display: table-row;" and the inner divs: "display: table-cell" and there is no difference in rendering the stuff (for css-capable browser of cource)

thats the major advantage of REAL xml and xsl copared to (x)html and css - but there is bareley no support out there

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

Reminds me of Atari vs Commodore - Good luck guys :lol:
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3