Questions about RC1..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Questions about RC1..

Post by Highway of Life »

NNO-Stephen wrote: I would highly doubt any decent SMF to Olympus script exists simply for the fact that things are/were so fluid with phpBB 3 changing so often. there will be one in due time.
Indeed, and the best option would be to convert SMF -> phpBB2, then use the built in converter to convert phpBB2 -> phpBB3

rockinaway

Post by rockinaway »

ndL wrote: it will be today!

I don't think today :S

bjongen

Post by bjongen »

rockinaway wrote: When RC1 releases, will there be modifications and styles being made?

I have two questions as well (I hope I post them in the right forum ...).
I am wondering - regarding Acyd Burn's post phpbb.com that only the captcha is remaining as critical bug - if there will be any major changes in the rest of the script. The reason why I am asking is because when I want to continue preparing my site for the release of RC1 (integration into the site) I want my additions to work when RC1 is released (at least with some minor adjustments).

Secondly something completely else. I want to offer a multi-language forum and site (using phpbb3 language system) - please look at my other topic HERE for a question regarding this language system. Then it would be great if also the category and forum titles (e.g. on this board: "phpBB related" or "[3.x/Olympus] Beta Support")would change when someone changes the language. Is this possible with phpbb3 ? I tried simply adding "$user->lang[***]" as a title, but - as to be expected - that doesn't work.

I hope someone can answer my questions, thanks in advance !!

Regards, Bart

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon »

Gumfuzi wrote:
Black Antitoon wrote: What is SEO :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Thank you.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

bjongen wrote:
rockinaway wrote: When RC1 releases, will there be modifications and styles being made?

I have two questions as well (I hope I post them in the right forum ...).
I am wondering - regarding Acyd Burn's post phpbb.com that only the captcha is remaining as critical bug - if there will be any major changes in the rest of the script. The reason why I am asking is because when I want to continue preparing my site for the release of RC1 (integration into the site) I want my additions to work when RC1 is released (at least with some minor adjustments).

Secondly something completely else. I want to offer a multi-language forum and site (using phpbb3 language system) - please look at my other topic HERE for a question regarding this language system. Then it would be great if also the category and forum titles (e.g. on this board: "phpBB related" or "[3.x/Olympus] Beta Support")would change when someone changes the language. Is this possible with phpbb3 ? I tried simply adding "$user->lang[***]" as a title, but - as to be expected - that doesn't work.

I hope someone can answer my questions, thanks in advance !!

Regards, Bart

For the forum title to change, you would have to do a mod of some kind to automatically translate it into the browsers language… or you would have to create a mod that would allow you to type in the forum name in multiple languages.

But why would you want somebody to read it in their own language if they can't speak or type in the language the rest of the posters in the forum are speaking?
it makes much more sense to create a separate forum for each language you want used… that will keep out confusion and headache.

As for the first question, you can never tell.
You have to make the decision on that one whether you want to plunge ahead or wait for RC1… but keep in mind the rules for support.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

bjongen

Post by bjongen »

Thanks for your reaction !
Handyman wrote: For the forum title to change, you would have to do a mod of some kind to automatically translate it into the browsers language… or you would have to create a mod that would allow you to type in the forum name in multiple languages.

But why would you want somebody to read it in their own language if they can't speak or type in the language the rest of the posters in the forum are speaking?
it makes much more sense to create a separate forum for each language you want used… that will keep out confusion and headache.

Yes I understand you point of view, but still it makes a bit sense to me. E.g. I am having a main category "News", a forum "News about the fireflies (a band)" and then sub forums "News in English", "News in Dutch", etc. So every language is having it's own sub forum, but still have to find it under the main category and main forum who’s titles are in the main language. If someone doesn't know what "News" is in English (s)he will never find the sub forum in his/hers own language. Oh well, I guess I am just wanting to much ... Phpbb3 is already FANTASTIC as it is !! Never mind my question ...
Handyman wrote: As for the first question, you can never tell.
You have to make the decision on that one whether you want to plunge ahead or wait for RC1… but keep in mind the rules for support.

I am not planning about really releasing a new site based on phpbb3 prior to rc1 (oh well, I must admit it has crossed my mind almost every second ... I am still patient :roll: ). I just want to build my pages around phpbb3 (using e.g. the users, template and language system, without modifying phpbb3) and get them ready for "the moment" rc1 gets released. My question is; when I build a (custom) page (outside phpbb) using today's cvs' language system; is it reasonably to be expected that it should be working (at least with some minor adjustments) with rc1 ?!? Oh well, I have been building the last few months any way, using the most up to date cvs every few days ...

Regards, Bart

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

bjongen wrote: I am not planning about really releasing a new site based on phpbb3 prior to rc1 (oh well, I must admit it has crossed my mind almost every second ... I am still patient :roll: ). I just want to build my pages around phpbb3 (using e.g. the users, template and language system, without modifying phpbb3) and get them ready for "the moment" rc1 gets released. My question is; when I build a (custom) page (outside phpbb) using today's cvs' language system; is it reasonably to be expected that it should be working (at least with some minor adjustments) with rc1 ?!? Oh well, I have been building the last few months any way, using the most up to date cvs every few days ...
It really depends on what kind of integration you implement.
Most simple integration will work perfectly, and chances are most anything you do won’t need any kind of modifications, but I say "chances" because there is always the possibility that something could happen to a specific portion of the code that would be completely different, and thus might require some heavier modifications for your custom page to work.
On the other hand, they should be reasonably small changes as long as you utilize all/most of the built in functions that phpBB3 has to offer.

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

I do not know why they are all kidding...
SEO means Search Engine Optimization
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

jumborex wrote:

SEO means Search Engine Optimization

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28261&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p184828 ;)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

jumborex wrote:

It's part of the so-called geeks' typical STFW attitude... ;)