When the RC1 is out, is it possible to

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Obi Wan

When the RC1 is out, is it possible to

Post by Obi Wan »

Convert the B5 to RC1 database without loosing all the settings and topics.Was thinking of database merging, or will i have to do it all over again.
Just local install for now, but when the rc1 is out, is it possible to use the exsisting db, or do i have to restart all over with full install?
May The Force Be With You All!

bad-dj

Re: When the RC1 is out, is it possible to

Post by bad-dj »

i do not think there is support for B5 to RC1. (rc when its out)

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

There is a planned upgrade path from B5 -> RC1 (there's a sticky about this on the phpbb website). The problem you will be faced with is no support if something goes wrong.

Failure with B5 -> RC1 = your problem
Failure with phpBB2 -> RC1 = full support

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The Grinch wrote: There is a planned upgrade path from B5 -> RC1 (there's a sticky about this on the phpbb website). The problem you will be faced with is no support if something goes wrong.

It's not no support if nothing goes wrong...

It's simply that if your board originated with an install older than RC1 you don't get any support, period. :P

// Off topic, I have been using phpBB3 on my main board for almost a year now (once Beta 1 came out). I think I am using Beta 5 right now...though it could be Beta 4. But once RC1 comes out it will need to be updated...again...along with all the custom hacks I made (usually made with no records on the site). Fun indeed. :| But it's still worth it. :P

Obi Wan

Post by Obi Wan »

I was asking about the database. Can that be backed up, and restored into RC 1 ? If yes, then i have nothing to worrie about, or have i?

EvilNui

Post by EvilNui »

As long as you didn't change the core tables of phpBB2 you probably won't encounter any problems.
And if you do, there is a bugtracker ;)

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Obi Wan wrote: I was asking about the database. Can that be backed up, and restored into RC 1 ? If yes, then i have nothing to worrie about, or have i?

B5 schema & RC1 schema will be different enough to stop a restore onto it. If you want to see the differences check out database_update.php from the CVS, or do a diff on the CVS copy of schema_data.sql & $yourdb_schema.sql from B5 and current CVS.

So if you want support you have to start all over again, if you do not need now or at any time in the future support then you should be able to use the updater provided they do not suddenly remove it which is unlikely.

Obi Wan

Post by Obi Wan »

okay. i see. Well, i thought i should ask, and now i know. Well, i have not that many posts, so i will keep a copy on each post i have, and write them again.
Thnx for the answer.

Hope RC 1 will come soon, cos this i like very much. :mrgreen:

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

EXreaction wrote:
The Grinch wrote: There is a planned upgrade path from B5 -> RC1 (there's a sticky about this on the phpbb website). The problem you will be faced with is no support if something goes wrong.

It's not no support if nothing goes wrong...

It's simply that if your board originated with an install older than RC1 you don't get any support, period. :P

I'm not sure that it goes quite that far. I read almost the entire thread about this (it was a lot of pages of reading), and the question asked was how would the developers or support team know if someone updated from B5 or phpbBB2 to begin with. The answer was that the issues relating to a beta version upgrade will be easy to spot as they will be specific. Therefore, you will still get support, just not on any that resulted from a Beta -> RC1 upgrade.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Its (very likely) no support fullstop.
Acyd Burn wrote: Since we intend to give full support beginning with the Release Candidate 1 and also need to be sure everyone is on one level we may (it is very likely) enforce the rule to only support new installations. No updated versions and no converted versions.