Should I wait?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
matsp

Should I wait?

Post by matsp »

Hi, i've just finished installing, customising and adding mods to phpbb2.0.22. So i now have message boards, photo galleries and an events calender, and am preparing to launch my website (http://www.withnature.co.uk/forums/index.php). However reading this I am wondering whether I would be better off waiting for 3/olympus, and any mods that come up. In the meantime putting a coming soon message on the forum. What do you think? I'm very happy with what is installed, but will it go out of date quickly (both the board and mods) with regards to security and its ongoing functionality on webservers? Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Garrydw

Re: Should I wait?

Post by Garrydw »

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Waiting for phpBB 3.0 Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
yeah yeah yeah... I know... it will be ready when it's ready.

matsp

Post by matsp »

Garrydw wrote: Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

Are they the new mods? what does emphysemia do?

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

You know what? I have not installed some mods I wanted in my forum for the last three, yes three years, because Olympus was in development, therefore supposedly out soon. Forget about it, although it seems closer than ever, if you have the site ready go ahead and launch it. Then you can wait till Olympus goes gold (and that won't probably be for at the very least a couple of months) and until all the mods you need are written and thoroughly tested. If you're happy with what you have, go ahead, and you can convert your forum when everything about olympus is good and stable. Which might be a couple of months from now, or it could be much more. No guarantees.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

matsp

Post by matsp »

Thank you for your advice.

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

yes, go ahead and launch, then you just have to update...you could, potentially, be waiting a long time if you wait for Gold v3