proSilver now in CVS!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
user99

Re: proSilver now in CVS!

Post by user99 »

When you are inside some post, where is the "Next or Previous" link, for moving on to next/previous topic.

Maybe I should get my eyesight checked up :)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

user99 wrote: When you are inside some post, where is the "Next or Previous" link, for moving on to next/previous topic.

'tis no more.

user99

Post by user99 »

Oh, thats not good :(

It means 1 extra click (+spent time) to move to next topic. Imagine someone who just wants to quickly scan through 100 topics.

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

That is a style change - something that if you pick the right style you will still have.

So in this forum use the userCP and alter the style you use back to subsilver2 and you will have those links again.

I agee, I would prefer the new style (and any newer styles) to have those links - I too find them helpful.

Ida

Post by Ida »

user99 wrote: Oh, thats not good :(

It means 1 extra click (+spent time) to move to next topic. Imagine someone who just wants to quickly scan through 100 topics.

No necessarily...

Just have the topics list on one tab, and use the middle-button of your mouse to view each topic in a new tab ; it works in most browsers. Then you can close the extra tab in just a mouse gesture (in most browsers again...).

That is to say you don't need the links if you take advantage of your shiny, brand-new web browser (whatever it is :P)
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com

code reader

Post by code reader »

Ida wrote:
user99 wrote: Oh, thats not good :(

No necessarily...

Just have the topics list on one tab, and use the middle-button of your mouse to view each topic in a new tab ; it works in most browsers. Then you can close the extra tab in just a mouse gesture (in most browsers again...).

That is to say you don't need the links if you take advantage of your shiny, brand-new web browser (whatever it is :P)
i am not a click-counter myself, but if you do insist on counting clicks, the way Ida suggests actually costs at least the one-more extra click, and possibly another one on top of that... (one <middle> click to open the post in a new tab, one extra-click to close this tab, and, possibly, depending on your browser and other factors, you may need yet another click to bring the right tab to the fore, and so on and so forth. this is not cheaper than hitting the "back" button).
the fact that this can be done with gestures instead of clicks is also immaterial: the "back" button can be replaced by a gesture just as easily...
none of these sequences is as easy and as straightforward as hitting the "next (or previous) topic" link.
personally, i don't use the next/previous topic all that much, and i doubt many people do, so i'm fine with the decision not to include it in prosilver, but i can understand that someone who is used to taking advantage of those controls will miss them once they're gone.
on the bright side, it should be laughably easy to find the piece in viewtopic_body.html in subsilver2 that implements these controls, and copy it over to prosilver...

thebluebus

Post by thebluebus »

code reader wrote: on the bright side, it should be laughably easy to find the piece in viewtopic_body.html in subsilver2 that implements these controls, and copy it over to prosilver...

was thinking the same

Ida

Post by Ida »

code reader wrote: none of these sequences is as easy and as straightforward as hitting the "next (or previous) topic" link.

Except you need to find said link before clicking it... which can involve yet another click or worse, a scroll, since it is on top of the page ;)

But enough of that nitpicking :mrgreen:
Ida == Gamall :) http://gamall-ida.com

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

8O

I suppose the developers made some kind of research before making their choice, comparing the amount of energy spent by the users using the prev/next links and the ones using the click-back-click (IE6 philosophy) or midclick-close-midclick (decent browser philosophy), and found out that the removal of those links would have caused the ascent of entropy to decrease by at least 0.00015 microjoules/sec, so letting the universe persist for as much as 0.005 secs longer.
phpBB is entropy-friendly.

(I should stop reading Stephen Hawking, I know.)

Fountain of Apples

Post by Fountain of Apples »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: 8O

I suppose the developers made some kind of research before making their choice, comparing the amount of energy spent by the users using the prev/next links and the ones using the click-back-click (IE6 philosophy) or midclick-close-midclick (decent browser philosophy), and found out that the removal of those links would have caused the ascent of entropy to decrease by at least 0.00015 microjoules/sec, so letting the universe persist for as much as 0.005 secs longer.
phpBB is entropy-friendly.

(I should stop reading Stephen Hawking, I know.)

8O You lost me after the thirteenth word. 8O
A successful community begins with YOU. Tag, you're it.