New phpBB Team: Web Solution Integration?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Jhong

Re: New phpBB Team: Web Solution Integration?

Post by Jhong »

yexusbeliever wrote: Not that I am disregarding you, Jhong, and your project, it's just in the habit to see people come and go with projects. Anyways maybe phpBB should make you in charge of a phpBB team Wordpress Integration Solution or something. LOL! :lol:

Yexus: I think you did disregard my points :-)

I think development on core phpBB, due to many factors, including the huge size of the product and upgrade, means phpBB releases are fewer and farther between than the average mod in development. phpBB has also seen its lead developers change several times. [note: I'm not discrediting phpBB here - I think they're producing a fantastic product in Olympus, and their actual code output is of course prolific in comparison.]

What's more, Olympus already provides the tools for authentication with third-party apps. Two of them! You should be able to get yourself an LDAP plugin for WordPress/whatever and you'll be done. They've already provided the tools you're asking for.

Furthermore, IMO, It's beyond the scope of phpBB to integrate authentication such that third-party apps use phpBB's DB auth system. To do that on the scale of distribution of phpBB safely would require a full audit of that third party app's security, by devs with no knowledge of that app. It doesn't make sense. And then you want to tie them to upgrading their module whenever the third-party app upgrades?

And, of course, when it comes to template integration, behaviour integration, or site integration this is totally beyond the scope of phpBB.

Another point is in the philosophy of open source: the source is there to be altered, unrestricted bar retaining a copyright notice. Teams can come and go. Part of this beauty is the freedom of users on the front-line to develop code that they need and give it back to the community. Large project teams will by necessity have more on their list of priorities - they're further away from that specific front line of interest to you and code will not necessarily be developed faster. I work in large teams daily and can see this to be true. That leaves someone like me free to focus on the parts of interest to a specific niche and give it back to the community. it also gives devs the opportunity to manage their own projects, and monetize them if they can. For example, many mod authors set up their own sites and try to monetize that way. Which in turn energizes them to give back more to the community.

Finally, why would I be put in charge of a project that I'm already in charge of? I see you obviously have a pressing need for a new blog mod... I've seen you pressing devs for it on other sites :P But I'm already providing a WP integration, and am working on Olympus -- I've posted screenshots and there is alpha code in SVN. And Olympus is not yet in RC stage. Rest assured it will come!

Jhong

Re: New phpBB Team: Web Solution Integration?

Post by Jhong »

... and just to add, if you think I should have a team around me, by all means code up something missing on my public 'To-Do' list... say, for example, right now, I plan to include more WordPress widgets that list phpBB polls, team list, most active forum threads, announcements, etc etc. The code is highly modular and others have been contributing :-)