converting from non-phpbb2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
PaulC2K

converting from non-phpbb2

Post by PaulC2K »

Im just wondering something while im stuck in a little dilema.

I currently have a v2 forum up and running, and im about to have multiple communities starting up, my ultimate goal is to have all future communities merged into 1 large forum, everyone under 1 roof with each community having their own forum area with subforums to keep things tidy. To do something like that in v2 is just far too messy, my existing forum has 19 seperate forum areas, and with each community having 5 of their own it would take half the week to go from top to bottom of the index page!

v3.0.0 will be ideal with the linked subforums keeping each community to just the 1 visable area, so that will be my ultimate goal.
However im stuck as to what to do between now and the many weeks/months till RC1 and 3.0.0

I can only think of 2 options, attempt to merge multiple v2 databases which im betting is a b****y nightmare, or equally unthinkable is to temporarilly convert to another board which is capable of doing subforums cleanly and when v3 is released convert back again.
What im wondering is what are the chances of converting a non-phpbb2 forum (a 'simple' board) to phpbb3 and everything coming out all smelling of roses (the box of chocs, not the flowers... mmmm ;))
It would be nothing more than a stop-gap, but i dont know what other alternative i have other than stopping things which are already picking up momentum.

Does anyone know when non-v2 convertors will appear, will they be in the final version (for most major boards) or will they be gradually filtered in?

Thoughts and suggestions definately appreciated.

yexusbeliever

Re: converting from non-phpbb2

Post by yexusbeliever »

nonphpbb board converters for phpBB3 will probably be made by the community and not the phpBB team. So my guess is that we will rapidly see these converters showing up.

My friend, I hope someone can really help you on that. It looks like a sticky mess.
hmm....

PaulC2K

Post by PaulC2K »

hehe, yeah dont i know it! :D

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

One option staying with phpBB2.

Use usergroups with the forums permissions such that forums that are not required to be seen by other groups are hidden.

That way the number of forums would reduce, perhaps to an acceptable number - at least prior to phpBB3 being available.

IE

usergroup 1 - can see first 5 rooms (but not any after - unless shared ones)
usergroup 2 can see the next 5 rooms (but not the first - or any after unless shared ones)
etc.

The only group who will see ALL rooms would be the admins - who would have to put up with the probem untill the phpBB3 update.

PaulC2K

Post by PaulC2K »

ChrisRLG wrote: One option staying with phpBB2.

Use usergroups with the forums permissions such that forums that are not required to be seen by other groups are hidden.

That way the number of forums would reduce, perhaps to an acceptable number - at least prior to phpBB3 being available.

IE

usergroup 1 - can see first 5 rooms (but not any after - unless shared ones)
usergroup 2 can see the next 5 rooms (but not the first - or any after unless shared ones)
etc.

The only group who will see ALL rooms would be the admins - who would have to put up with the probem untill the phpBB3 update.

Yeah, i actually have a version set up for going with this idea from a while back, but i plan to have 2 public and 3 private areas (possibly 4) and i just saw thing piling up as additional communities were created/added.

im pulling my hair out trying to get my head around what i need to do and what would be suitable as the project isnt ready to go public, I have a public forum, and a non-public one and i need to act on a merging before the 2nd one gets busier, but even merging them now is tricky as i dont want to go public with it yet.... very stupid and frustraiting! :roll:

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

My own forums have over 100 rooms :)

Very few are public !!

The use of those usergroups might just give you the breathing space till phpBB3 is available.

I know that speculation is not allowed for the release date of phpBB3 - but it cannot be long now - so if you could hold off for say 2-3 weeks - in your place - I would.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

PaulC2K wrote: However im stuck as to what to do between now and the many weeks/months till RC1 and 3.0.0

As Chris hinted, here nobody expects "many weeks/months" to go before RC is out. Of course we might be wrong, but if you can hold on for a couple of weeks, I don't see why getting things so messed up just to have to convert back in less than a month.