Olympus translations again

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
goreSplatter

Olympus translations again

Post by goreSplatter »

Hey.

I noticed the complete absence of any additional language packs when I installed Olympus on my local machine this morning. I'm done translating it into German now and it seems as though this work was in vain? Some of the threads addressing translations all seem to say: "don't bother let the other guys do it".

Is there still a need for a translation (should I post it that is)? Or is the only thing I have achieved all day my new knowledge of all possible textual output from Olympus?

P.S.: Yes, I have read Acyd Burn's release announcement. Don't link to it in your reply.
There's only 10 kinds of people,
those that read binary and those who don't.

the_dan

Re: Olympus translations again

Post by the_dan »

You could do an en-us one - there seems to be enough demand ;)

goreSplatter

Post by goreSplatter »

8O ???
Huh?! All I would have to do is change all colours to color and we're good to go...

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

It depends on what version of en-us you do...
You have the ghetto version, it would be so gravy man if you could flow wit da "dis" and "dat". Along with many other words that are not family friendly, and can’t be posted here.

You have the southern version, where at least 50% of the texts must be turned into a question.
You also must drop a few syllables here and there.
Input yur message here, don't be puttin' no more than 100000 letter things in it.

Then you have your New England version, but you must drop all "r"s.
For example: Ento yow message hea. It may contain no mo than...
Color is colou
A good example is dwiving up the feeway to woostah (worcester) Massachusetts in yow fowd van. Just to give you an idea.

In the middle-town Chicago version, change ALL Moderator and Admin language strings to: the boss, underboss, and consigliere.
The Boss is the Founder, he’s the guy who decides who gets made, and who gets whacked.
Groups must be changed to "Capo"
And newly registered users (what we call newbies) would be changed to "Cafone".

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

oh Highway, I love it :) Especially the mofia version :)
There is no Smiley in the box that portrays how I feel.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

goreSplatter

Post by goreSplatter »

Thx guys. Now I know I'm in the right place; professionals all around. ;)

Seriously though, to return to my initial question: "Is there a need for that translation? Should I post it?" It would be nice to know. If it's not appreciated I could at least start working on an Elmar Fudd translation. I fink theref a need for dat...

nj0y

Post by nj0y »

There is a German translation on phpbb.de.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

goreSplatter,

nj0y gave you the short version of the answer to your question.

The long version :

It has been known for months now, that the official language package maintainers for language packages for phpBB 2.0.x was given the privilege to deliver the official language packages for phpBB 3.0 also, if they wanted to.

The current list of the official language package maintainers for phpBB 3.0 was released at the same time as phpBB 3.0 was deployed to main site. See the download section.

Also it has been public knowledge, that the translation team on http://www.phpbb.de has been working for long time now on a language package for phpBB 3.0, I think the first version for phpBB 3.0 Beta 2 was about a half year ago. I'm a Dane, and I have had that information from about 14 days after the first release of that German language package, simply by searching on the international support communities on a regular basis about what's going on about phpBB 3.0 translations.

Sometimes it's better to work smarter than harder. If you plan or indend to do some work in a largely wordwide spread community as phpBB on a initiative, that it's obvious will be done, it's always a good idea to look around the obvious places to check what's been going on before starting to avoid double work and waste of lots of time. You could still have contributed, because you would have found out, the German translation team started working on the informal German version [Du-version], and you could then have worked on/delivered input to the formal German version [Sie-version].

Sometimes it's better to do some search and look around and perhaps pull in some nodes in one's network asking some questions to get the overall picture in stead of just pulling the wagon hard as a horse with blinkers.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Highway of Life wrote: In the middle-town Chicago version, change ALL Moderator and Admin language strings to: the boss, underboss, and consigliere.
The Boss is the Founder, he’s the guy who decides who gets made, and who gets whacked.
Groups must be changed to "Capo"
And newly registered users (what we call newbies) would be changed to "Cafone".

A bit more then that

here a brief preview

Administration: the upper-level power structure of an organized crime Family, composed of the boss, underboss, and consigliere. (for the Team)
Associate: an almost-there; someone who works with and for wiseguys, but who hasn't been sworn in as a member of the Family. (maybe a moderator rank)
Borgata: a crime Family; brugad. (moderator group)
Boss: the head of the crime Family; he is the only one who gives permission to "whack" or "make" someone, and he makes money from all Family operations; synonyms: don, chairman. (admin)
Boss of Bosses; Capo di tutti capi: While no one proclaims himself the Boss of Bosses anymore, the press awards this title to whomever they feel is the boss of the strongest of the five Families of New York, who is also said to preside over Commision meetings. (the founder)
Broken: demoted in rank; "knocked down." (for promoting in the moderator team)
Brugad: a crime family; borgata. (group)
Button: a "made" member of the Mafia; soldier, wiseguy, goodfella, Man of Honor. (moderator?)
Capo: ranking member of a Family who heads a crew (or group) of soldiers; a skipper, short for capodecina. (head group)
Capo di tutti capi: see Boss of Bosses
Chased: to be banished from the Mafia and barred from associating or doing business with any made members. The punishment is merciful in that the offender is spared death. (banned person)
Clock: to keep track of someone's movements and activities. (Who is online)
Commission, The: the Mafia "ruling body", typically a panel made up of the bosses of the five New York Families, Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno sometimes with representatives from other U.S. Families, such as Chicago. (The team?)
Compare: crony, close pal, buddy. Literally, "godfather" in Italian. (for friends list?)
Consigliere: the counselor in a crime Family; advises boss and handles disputes within the ranks. (special rank?)
Crew: a group of soldiers that takes orders from a capo. (team/group members)
Cugine: a young toughguy looking to be made. (registerd who is often online?)
Empty suit: someone with nothing to offer who tries to hang around with mobsters. (guest?)
Enforcer: a person who threatens, maims, or kills someone who doesn't cooperate with Family rules or deals. (admin who deals with banning etc)
Friend of mine: introduction of a third person who is not a member of the Family but who can be vouched for by a Family member. (friend list?)
Friend of ours: introduction of one made member to another. (friend list?)
Gavone:cafone a phony or embarrassment to himself and others; "gavone" (slang pronunciation)
Hot place: a location suspected of being the target of law enforcement or surveillance. (rules of the board)
Joint, the: prison; synonyms: the can, the pen, go away to college. (banning screen)
Made: to be sworn into La Cosa Nostra; synonyms: to be "straightened out," to get your button. (promotion)
Omertá: the code of silence and one of the premier vows taken when being sworn into the Family. Violation is punishable by death. (the rules)
Off the record: an action taken without the knowledge or approval of the Family. (mod actions)
On the record: an action sanctioned by the Family. (admin actions)
Pinched: arrested. (warning)
Rat: a member who violates Omertá; synonyms: squealer, canary, snitch, stool pigeon, yellow dog. (warned person / banned)
Sit-down: a meeting with the Family administration to settle disputes. (place of the team)
Skipper: a capo.

There might be more but i cannot think of it anymore, would be fun though
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

goreSplatter

Post by goreSplatter »

Thanks for the lecture, dude. ;-)

Luckily my not-so-smart work wasn't all in vain; I did the the formal version (Sie).
I guess I'll have to contact the guys @phpbb.de...

Thanks anyways.