New phpBB Team: Web Solution Integration?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Eelke

Re: New phpBB Team: Web Solution Integration?

Post by Eelke »

I haven't done any work whatsoever on integration yet, but it is something on my horizon. Personally, I'm no great fan of mods, because they complicate update procedures. Of course, I then talk about the "dirty" mods that change a lot of code (which may be the only way to accomplish what they do, but that's another matter). Mods that do not change any core code I have no problem with at all. Mods that change a minimal amount of code to hook into the core I like only slightly better than the dirty ones.

For me, ideally, for the board to integrate into some other package, there would be nothing to change in the core files; you'd need:
- some authentication solution to authenticate against the product we're integrating with and to take care of session integration
- minimalistic template that leaves stuff like page headers and footers and whatever else that particular product might have to that product
- somekind of minimalist wrapper around the core files to make the board compatible with the host system (for example, a single file as entry point instead of the multitude of files used by phpBB).

Providing such "glue" would definitely, firmly be in the mod territory, in my opinion.

I expect, though, it to be a lot more involved than that. Session integration, links generated by the board being incompatible with what the "host" system expects, host system setting requirements on how a "plug-in" would have to be interfaced to that do not jive with how phpBB does things.

I expect there will be common problems between integration solutions, and I think integration is actually such a common theme that it deserves a little more attention than dismissing it as "just another category of mods". Many, many sites do not just run a forum, but have other stuff going on as well. Also, it could generate more interest in phpBB if there is a drive from the project itself to support integration with other web applications.

Therefore, I think some kind of workgroup focused on integration could be helpful. Maybe, such a workgroup could even identify areas where, with minimal changes to the core phpBB product, integration can be greatly simplified.

Striving to provide some kind of continuity for existing integrations would be commendable, but I think it would not really be feasible; in the end you will need individuals with an interest in maintaining particular integrations. I myself, would I be part of an integration workgroup, would not be jumping at the "chance" to pick up the WordPress integration project if someone would abandon it, if my personal interest would be with Joomla integration. However, a workgroup could play a part in actively seeking a new maintainer for such a project. I suppose the model would be similar to the model used for the translations team.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Yes :mrgreen:

Exactly!
hmm....

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Ok, I see your point now.

So far we have had a couple mods for phpBB3 abandoned, but with the community of developers, they were picked up within a week and finished not long after that… and they work great BTW.
It's just better if you can get a community of people working on mods like that, so they are never dropped for very long.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Hey... I have no plans on giving up on the WordPress integration... :lol: and phpBB3 is definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to providing code classes that are easier to use/hook into -- especially with the auth system (although the WordPress plugin hooks are still way out ahead in this dept).

The whole point of open source projects IMO is community involvement. I like the way the phpBB devs provide the core project, and the community provides a plethora of add-ons. Same deal with WordPress. In phpBB, the credibility issue is dealt with through MOD validation, but in all OSS projects, community approval is also a key factor.

It would be nicer if no core code changes were required to phpBB whatsoever.. but again, this is definitely a step in the right direction, and probably a good balance between a complete plugin hook system and performance.

And I'm not sure of the argument surrounding waiting for phpBB core devs Vs. waiting for MOD devs to produce code.... If anything, the MOD devs churn out updates faster!

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Not that I am disregarding you, Jhong, and your project, it's just in the habit to see people come and go with projects. Anyways maybe phpBB should make you in charge of a phpBB team Wordpress Integration Solution or something. LOL! :lol:
hmm....

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

yexusbeliever wrote: Not that I am disregarding you, Jhong, and your project, it's just in the habit to see people come and go with projects. Anyways maybe phpBB should make you in charge of a phpBB team Wordpress Integration Solution or something. LOL! :lol:
:D And why not?
The new style even looks like wordpress. :lol:

elfprince13

Post by elfprince13 »

yexusbeliever wrote: Why I say official is because usually a one person will take on a task of integrating something like wordpress. Later on he is burned out because is one person doing the work and leaves, abandoning the project. Usually this is where I do not see a continuing lively integration. I am just suggesting official integration release because if phpBB has a team that is fully dedicated to that work, there is little chance of abandonment.

Still phpBB folks do not have to go for all of my ideas. The plain point is that just like other people, I like to see a stable continual development of integrations for phpBB. So I know that the current phpBB teams are really busy, so they can devise a new team for this.

Even a third party team can still do this. I just thought it would be awesome to see a new phpBB team working on it.

.....it seriously took me less than 2 hours of work to completely integrate my Blogger account with my phpBB2 board.....burnout really shouldn't be an issue for small stuff like that.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Sure, but what happens when someone finds a bug with your integration in two years, you have a wife and family (just for the sake of argument I'm assuming you don't now, if you do just substitute any other big change), and haven't been using phpBB for six months? Be honest! ;) I don't think "burnout" was meant that litterally :)

elfprince13

Post by elfprince13 »

opensource code ;) there's a MASSIVE number of users out there, and a significant number of them are high school or college age nerds such as myself who know PHP, and have the time to fix such bugs. the trouble with having a specific team is they frequently lose motivation or free time (such as happened with the MOD validation team a few months ago iirc), and no one else has the authority to keep things moving along. with a decentralized team who all have access everyone has the ability to catch and repair bugs. and with SVN you don't really have to worry about sabotage because you can always roll back to a previous version. thus keep a release ready version of the mod, and then future changes can be saved and worked on by everyone but have a use-at-your-own-risk notice until a newer revision is approved.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

If there is a team dedicated towards an open source integration solution project, I think anyone can jump start the project if they wanted to. It is just that there will be an official support from a team. And if the teammates leave, they can always get new ones to come and take over. This way the project itself is not going to die.

Having only like one person overseering a project, it can be hard to handle. Having more than one, it can be a blessing and helping hand.
hmm....