prosilver discussion among users

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
asinshesq

prosilver discussion among users

Post by asinshesq »

I gather the developers prefer not to publish their internal dialogue about prosilver here (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27890 ), and so far I haven't seen any topic giving us (the regular users) a chance to discuss it's ins and outs in a systematic way. I have a strong feeling I am missing a lot when I look at prosilver on my own, and I would be interested in what others have found.

In this topic, perhaps we can discuss what we think about the various changes (good and bad), talk about why we think various things were done, point out some subtle changes some of us may not already have noticed on our own, etc.

I love prosilver (and I can see from the initial comments that I am not alone).

I mentioned in another topic that I hope the website team will choose to change the forum part of phpbb.com into a regular "fluid" page forum (rather than a forum with fixed width pages inside a portal window). I realize that will look inconsistent with the rest of the site, but unless they do that I don't think we can really seeing prosilver the way it is meant to be seen.

My first question about prosilver design choices, which I know others have asked as well, is why the developers chose to put the avatars on the right side. That's going to take some getting used to, and I am guessing there was a good reason for that change beyone the fact that it's different. Anyone venture a guess about why that was done?
Alan

Ron2K

Re: prosilver discussion among users

Post by Ron2K »

asinshesq wrote: My first question about prosilver design choices, which I know others have asked as well, is why the developers chose to put the avatars on the right side. That's going to take some getting used to, and I am guessing there was a good reason for that change beyone the fact that it's different. Anyone venture a guess about why that was done?

There was an answer over on the main site saying that it was done as the team desired more emphasis on the post content and less emphasis on who posted said post. Can't remember who said it, though.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Ron2K wrote:
asinshesq wrote: My first question about prosilver design choices, which I know others have asked as well, is why the developers chose to put the avatars on the right side. That's going to take some getting used to, and I am guessing there was a good reason for that change beyone the fact that it's different. Anyone venture a guess about why that was done?

There was an answer over on the main site saying that it was done as the team desired more emphasis on the post content and less emphasis on who posted said post. Can't remember who said it, though.

Thanks. That makes sense, but it's still jarring. I'm guessing I'll get used to it,though.

On the index, what do people think about moving who is online, birthdays and board stats outside of the nice colored index tables? I assume that was done for the same reason -- emphasizing real content (in this case, forum names and descriptions) and de-emphasizing other information -- but once again I find this jarring. It looks unfinished to me. But once again, I assume I will get used to it.
Alan

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Ron2K wrote: There was an answer over on the main site saying that it was done as the team desired more emphasis on the post content and less emphasis on who posted said post. Can't remember who said it, though.

http://www.phpbb.com/development/prosilver/
I'm not sure contents should be read before authors. In a board where everyone knows everyone else, knowing who posted a message is important IMO.
Also someone said large images may screw up the layout (did not try though).
More importantly, this is totally non-standard. Users will be confused. Will this school-of-thinking prevail? Time will tell. But until then, many will find this rather annoying.
(But you can change this behavior, of course. Just edit CSS.)

What about code boxes... :)

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

I can see what is going to happen already, somebody will post a huge picture in a topic and then you have to scroll way to the right to see who made all the posts in that topic.

I don't know everyone on the boards that I use but I do know most of the people who post about the same things I am interested in. Knowing who made the posts puts more leverage on its content. Just look at this board if a developer posts something you can trust it more than just a users post.

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

That's three of us who (at least initially) prefer the author info at the left. Can anyone who feels otherwise weigh in?
Alan

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

I'm really sorry, but I just noticed that there is another topic on this subject that is running on phpbb.com here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=527019

No reason to duplicate topics. If a mod wants to lock this that would be fine with me.
Alan

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

The other topic in phpBB.com is about their first impression of prosilver. This one is discussing about the template.

I do wonder if prosilver will be default template shipping with phpBB3 now. ??? or will it be subSilver?
hmm....

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

yexusbeliever wrote: The other topic in phpBB.com is about their first impression of prosilver. This one is discussing about the template.

I do wonder if prosilver will be default template shipping with phpBB3 now. ??? or will it be subSilver?

ONCE phpBB3 goes gold, BOTH will be shipping with phpBB.
proSilver will be the default style, and subSilver will be the alternate style.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I too would like to see the who's online, board details and birthdays put inside a colored box instead of making them look like they fell out of a table.
I think they need their own place to sleep :)

Overall, I think the index page is much improved over subSilver, as well as the viewforum_body.
There are some things I like about viewtopic_body and others I don't.
I kind of like the look of the posts… but I don't like the fact that it looks like a blog… IMO, it should look like a forum, not a blog.

Overall, I'm glad we are getting something different to choose from than the standard subSilver.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply