Center Tag In Phpbb3?!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
hater

Re: Center Tag In Phpbb3?!

Post by hater »

NNO-Stephen wrote: <center> is far better than div align whatnot because it's shorter and less prone to screwing up (typos).

besides, it works EVERYWHERE.

and besides, it IS valid HTML. it may have been depricated in 4.01, but it's still HTML. it's not valid XHTML 1.0 strict but *beep* it, it's HTML. so code reader, might wanna do some homework because you cannot say it was "never" valid.

Do your homework. You're wrong. End of discussion.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Any tag which is deprecated is wrong ..... there is no saying deprecated tags will work in the future :) Just because it works does not make it right.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

hater said I'm wrong, end of discussion.

well, ok then. If you say so master. :roll:

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

HTML is quickly being replaced by XHTML, the differences are mostly very minor, but it will be very much worth the effort to switch, trust me. :)
The primary benefit of XHTML is that it's more widely accepted in non browser type devices such as cell phones or palm devices and other scaled down browsers.
This is especially important to keep in mind now with the pending release of the new Apple iPhone and European equivalent.
So the best thing to do when creating new BBCodes and or new Styles is to stay updated with the current web Standards... HTML 4.0 is no longer a web standard.
But what makes switching to XHTML Strict so difficult at this stage is the lack of support in Internet Explorer 6, I say 6 because hopefully 7 will address all the non-compliant issues... or at least most of them. We all know how Microsoft likes to leave at least a few bugs in released software.

The differences between XHTML Strict and XHTML Transitional is basically, Transitional is forgiving in the sense that it allows some depreciated tags and attributes to pass validation.
Strict is exactly that... all depreciated tags and attributes will fail to validate, and may display in the browser incorrectly as well.

subSilver actually uses quite a few depreciated attributes, but no depreciated tags (font/center etc)
applet, basefont, blockquote, center, dir, em, font, isindex, listing, menu, plaintext, s, strike, strong, u, and xmp are all depreciated tags and should not be used.
align, alink, background, bgcolor, clear, compact, color, border, hspace, link, noshade, nowrap, size, start, target, text, type, value, vlink, width, and vspace are all depreciated attributes -- save a few exceptions, such as size and width, which can only be used in certain attributes, while they are depreciated in others, such as TD, TH, etc.. -- to use width in tables, use the <colgroup> or <col> tags inside the table header.
One thing that makes going strict so difficult is the target attribute is depreciated, and the only way to open a page in a new window is to use javascript... which I have never been a fan of.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Highway of Life wrote: One thing that makes going strict so difficult is the target attribute is depreciated, and the only way to open a page in a new window is to use javascript... which I have never been a fan of.

The reason that they took target out is because you are not supposed to open new windows with a full browser interface for usability reasons. Simple as that.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes, I know... but I still want/would like to use it in some occasions. -- even though I know it's not right. :D ;)
Javascript would work well for this, since some phone browsers don't support javascript, so then it would just open in the same page anyways.

captainjlp

Post by captainjlp »

I personally use:
BBCode usage

Code: Select all

[align={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/align]
HTML replacement

<div style="text-align:{TEXT1};">{TEXT2}</div>
Helpline

[align={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/align] (for {TEXT1}, use: left, center, right)
... so with one BBcode, i can left, center or right-align any text
Ce n'est pas parce que les choses sont difficiles que nous n'osons pas, c'est parce que nous n'osons pas que les choses sont difficiles.
[Sénèque]

RBH

Post by RBH »

Using <center> instead of the CSS alternative is bad practice and nothing short of lazy...

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM »

RBH wrote: Using <center> instead of the CSS alternative is bad practice and nothing short of lazy...

What utter tosh .... why is it lazy?, why is it bad practice? (and who decided it was bad practice considering it's been a standard HTML tag for years)
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
http://www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

why did you bring up the center tag after JLP posted his center bbcode using CSS?
That's the way it should be done.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply