Mirroring a phpbb installation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Freitag

Mirroring a phpbb installation

Post by Freitag »

Hardware failures are a fact of life (re: the recent phpBB rare RAID double disk crash)

Is there support inside the phpBB3 for mirroring a site?

I have seen instructions in the phpBB2 MOD area to that would let two web sites share a database. Is there a way to sync two databases behind one phpBB install?

I know that some DBs support replication, but using the native replication would be implementation specific and would rely upon the admin knowing how (and having access to) that function.

Since phpBB already has a database abstraction layer, how difficult would it be to add a mirror function A) assuming the mirror is the same database type as the primary, or b) allowing the mirror to be a different database type. I think the second would be more difficult.

Lastly, how big is the phpbb.com database and would the owners and hosts permit volunteers to mirror all or portions of it.
Am I?

Phil

Re: Mirroring a phpbb installation

Post by Phil »

Freitag wrote: I know that some DBs support replication, but using the native replication would be implementation specific and would rely upon the admin knowing how (and having access to) that function.

Since phpBB already has a database abstraction layer, how difficult would it be to add a mirror function A) assuming the mirror is the same database type as the primary, or b) allowing the mirror to be a different database type. I think the second would be more difficult.
I just have a cron job perform a daily database and file backup to a private SVN server.
Freitag wrote: Lastly, how big is the phpbb.com database and would the owners and hosts permit volunteers to mirror all or portions of it.
Huge, and definitely not.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

mikovchain

Re: Mirroring a phpbb installation

Post by mikovchain »

I have seen instructions in the phpBB2 MOD area to that would let two web sites share a database. Is there a way to sync two databases behind one phpBB install?

phpbb.com is using array disks, so whenever there is a working database, there would be a copy stored on another disk( the copy may delay for one hour or one week ). This is a better method than what you suggested.

It's not necessary to maintain another database of same content. If you think the 2-disk array not safe enough, you can add one more disk -- then you will have two copy of your site. The possibility of all three disks crashing at the same time would be very little.
Lastly, how big is the phpbb.com database and would the owners and hosts permit volunteers to mirror all or portions of it.

You can calculate the database size by 2~5kB per post approximately. Remote mirror maintained by unofficial sites would greatly increase the risk of private information leaking.
PHPBB CHINA For Chinese Users