Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Nicholas the Italian

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

There is going to be server maintenance this weekend. The last time they took the server down for maintenance was just before the Beta1 release, to get it ready, prepare it for the influx. He pointed out that this one could be to prep for RC1.

Hello all, we'll be shaking some cookie crumbs from the tin server at 21:00 UTC, 10th March 2007 and estimate it'll take around 2 hours. During this time, the forums will be locked.

The point is, how will they do the upgrade? Because they certainly won't back up, convert and get everything ready in 2 hours... ;)
And if they don't lock the board while converting, what happens?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

I doubt phpbb.com will go to phpBB3 until the gold version is out.

madtay

Post by madtay »

I think its very possible the phpBB maintenance could be connected in someway to the release of RC1 ... but the again.. what do i know lol

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

They won't be upgrading, but, well, I wouldn't be surprised it the site is much busier than usual when they release RC1. It would be wise to smooth out any potential issues, a quick reboot, etc, just to be as safe as possible. They did something before B1 too.

It wouldn't be good to go down minutes after RC1 is launched, would it?
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

madtay

Post by madtay »

Yes i agree. No doubt there will be a huge influx of support requests as people start converting :mrgreen:

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

nah they just want to get ride of Berties abnormal appitite for snacks. And to have a weekend off, just nice and away from all the questions of when will it be ready and can i hire bertie to do my washing up ect.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

Rotsblok wrote: nah they just want to get ride of Berties abnormal appitite for snacks. And to have a weekend off, just nice and away from all the questions of when will it be ready and can i hire bertie to do my washing up ect.

you can hire out Bertie? how much an hour? :D :D

seriously I think there might be a lot of support requests, especially from those that haven't read the sticky about suppport only starts from RC1, still Im sure there will be a lot of styling questions also, amongst others, but Im certainly looking forward to RC1, regardless

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

matthewf wrote: seriously I think there might be a lot of support requests, especially from those that haven't read the sticky about suppport only starts from RC1, still Im sure there will be a lot of styling questions also, amongst others, but Im certainly looking forward to RC1, regardless

There will also be alot of people who avoided even trying the betas, but will either try or upgrade to RC1. Thus, categories not showing up because there are no forums in them, forums not having the right permissions, people not understanding the new permissions system, other problems with acp being different, people's html not working any more, etc, will probably be rampant.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

Yeah I think they must be preparing the RC1 support forums. It doesn't make sense to convert the whole site untill Gold is Out (And we can see the new theme for example!!!). They also need to deal with things like the bug tracker, Styles Demo and stuff.

But they will need to put better documentation in place, update the MOD database to accept phpbb3 mods and sort out the support forums. I doubt they'll use area51 for that?

hehe How long do you think it would take to convert the whole of phpbb.com? A couple of days :P?

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I would assume that the main site is being converted behind the scenes as we speak (and has been for some time). There is a lot of work there: as well as the actual website, there are things like the bug tracker, KB, security tracker etc.