CVS Help

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Aled

CVS Help

Post by Aled »

What exacly is CVS? Is it the latest code additions of phpBB2/3 before the next Beta/Alpha or Version is released?

-Aled

matthewf

Re: CVS Help

Post by matthewf »

everything you need to know, http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/ however installing phpbb2 / 3 CSV is completely unsupported, there are are code changes between one version and another, as well as DB changes,

basically its a dev copy of phpbbs' as the devs fix bugs, they update the code in the CVS, once all the bugs are fixed the CVS will turn into the next stable testing release

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

About CVS in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System
The only advice is, if you don't even know what it is, don't use it.
At most, you may risk using CVS snapshot, that is a daily "photograph" of the files composing the software, as they are submitted by the developers. But keep in mind that a snapshot is much more likely to be broken/buggy than any official beta/rc/final version (just because it's work-in-progress).

Aled

Post by Aled »

Okay, thankyou for your help. Reading the CVS page I really don't mind stuff like that (I love it in fact!) so I shall be downloading the CVS version of phpBB 3 to see what it looks like. I'm at school at the moment so I cannot extract any compressed related files. Thanks for the help, this would probably have been a dumb question.
So to sum it all up, a CVS from my point of view is the code changes currently in production inbetween the current and future version of phpBB.

-Aled