Forbidden access-installing album mod

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
MzKitteh

Forbidden access-installing album mod

Post by MzKitteh »

Hey there, I'm usually just a forum browser, but now I have a real issue >.<

I put the album mod in the correct directory, went to my easy mod installer at the admin panel in my forum and when I click "Next Step" I get:
You don't have permission to access /forum/admin/admin_easymod.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

*sniffle*

I don't understand why I have to be forbidden (should I try seducing my server?)

Thanks for any suggestions or help in advance =)

Poomerio

Re: Forbidden access-installing album mod

Post by Poomerio »

Even without much PHP experience, I could tell you that that means that the file is missing. Try uploading it again, and installing EM again.

- Poomie

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

MzKitteh, have you installed any other MODs using EM or is this the first? Who is your host? Usually this error is a sign of an incorrect server setting on your host side. You might want to bring this to their attention. Also make sure that the file and folder permissions are set correctly for your server...

CHMOD Permissions

Do you have the permissions of the folders set to 755 and the files set to 644? On most boards, the folder permissions must be set to 755 and the file permissions to 644. However on some, such as Awardspace and Lycos, the folder and file permissions MUST BE set to 755. Check some of your other non-EM file and folder permissions to determine what works on your site...

You can probably find instructions on how to do that at the site that provides your FTP application. I'm sure it varies from application to application...

I use SmartFTP. All you need to do is click on a folder or file in the right hand viewer and choose Properties/CHMOD or Alt+Enter

Then you can either enter the value, like 755 or 644, or you can click on the read, write, execute options, which do the same thing...

stu123

Post by stu123 »

Hi Nightrider, I'm having the same problem.

All folders are 755 and all files are 644 and I get the same error message as the first post. I've tried installing a couple of mods with EasyMOD and so far no luck. My host (LunarPages) uses suPHP which i guess might be interfering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Are you sure that 644 is the correct permissions for files on your LunarPages site? If you aren't sure, simply upload a file and check it's permissions. Your host server software should correctly set the permissions that are allowed/required for your site. If the file permissions are anything other than 644, you will need to install a modified version of EM to work on your site. Let me know if you need it...

stu123

Post by stu123 »

Yes 644 is the default permissions for uploaded files.

I contacted LunarPages support and they told me that suPHP is configured to forbid access to anything with 666 or 777 permissions. I had a look at some of the directories easyMod creates (for backups etc) and it seems to create them all as 777.

Is there any way to get additional logging or error reporting out of easyMod? Or is there a build that addresses this problem?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

If LunarPages forbids access to any folder set to 777, then you will need to make the following adjustments to get EM working correctly on your site. Open the following em_includes files in your favorite text editor, then do a Replace All on the text 0777 with 0755:
  1. em_ftp.php - 4 instances
  2. em_functions.php - 2 instances
  3. em_modio.php - 8 instances
Save and upload back to your easymod/em_includes folder, then try the EM install again. If EM has already created the admin/em_includes and includes/sql folders on prior install attempts and set the permissions to 777, you can either delete those folders before attempting to install EM again or you can simply change the folder permissions to 755 using your FTP application...